Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kebabs

chill243
chill243 Posts: 131
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to make pork loin kebabs today, but unsure whether I should leave the loin whole or cut it up into kebab pieces.  I'm concerned the kebab pieces will dry out.  I plan on having mangos and green onions on the kebab.  I am also doing beef sirloin kebabs, which I will cut up and add baby potates and red onion.  I'm thinking 350 deg if it is kebabs all the way around.  Any suggestions:

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    they only dry out if overcooked.

best thing for kabobs is to skip the 'magazine cover' concept of meat and veggies on one skewer, and instead do veggies separate.  that way they'll be done perfectly.

i would have no clue what size to cut both the veggies and the meat so that each finished at the same time on the same skewer. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Best practice I've heard is to keep everything separate. Meat on one kabob, onions on another, etc. that way items that take a little longer can stay on while the faster cooking vegetables and fruit can be removed before they burn.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I also do the kabobs like stike said and put the rice on a large platter followed by the different skewers of meat and veggies to serve. Dig in - dinner is served!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Potatoes and onions are going to take a little longer unless you pre soften in the micro wave. Mango and green onions won't take very long. 350 will work for everything but I think the steak should have a high heat sear for a nice crust. Turn up the heat for the steak cook.

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • The cool thing about Kebabs is the intense flavor in every small bite. The way to get that is cut meat into smaller pieces and season/marinade each piece. As Stike said, the only way to make it dry is to overcook. So, I say do the kebabs as stated above and cut the pig parts up before cooking and season generously. Sounds great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Thanks everyone for the input.  I did each item on separate skewers.  The baby potatoes were to die for, as well as the beef and red onion (all tossed in only olive oil and salt and pepper).  I didn't do the pork bc we had so much food, but I did the mango, cut in small pieces.  It was a pretty hard mango and we didn't grill it long enough, but I drizzled it with a bit of honey.  All and all everything was great. We kept the temp between 400 and 450 if anyone is interested.  Those baby potatoes were great though, I wish I roasted a whole garlic to squeeze onto them.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    When I do the meat and veggies together, I cut the meat thin and make sure it isn't cold.  The hot tub method could come in handy, but I haven't gone to that extreme.  Separate leads to better control for sure.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.