Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter, Anyone with advice on this?

VA in GA
VA in GA Posts: 54
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello,    Does anyone use the "Looftlighter" for lighting their egg up?  Thinking about getting one but wondering if any eggheads have any advise first? Pros or cons?
Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!

Comments

• brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    It works great and its really nice. Its just expensive. I have it and I love it. I have seen some other threads saying that some people use heat guns. That would be the economical solution.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I really like mine.  Search on looft lighter and it will pull up several threads that discuss several different heat guns, propane, and electric starters.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I use a heat gun and although it's more economical, it has a short handle which gets your hand closer to hot coals. Not normally a problem unless you want a roaring burn to "Trex". I have seen Looftlighters at the store and wanted one till I saw people used heat guns. Easy choice for me since I already had a heat gun. One thing about Looftlighter is that it's designed to ignite charcoal so hot hands may not be an issue. They really look neat! If you have never seen one in action you can find a video on you tube.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The handle length is really nice if you get a batch of sparky charcoal.  It keeps your arms and clothes far enough away so you don't get burned.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• proline19
    proline19 Posts: 8
    I love mine. Makes lighting the BGE very easy.
  • Kingmc
    Kingmc Posts: 2
    I just got one and it is great. Gets you going in a fraction of the time.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I bought a heat gun to save expense, and after a week of cooking melted the plastic case and it would not light.  My Looftlighter works great, and will not melt.  The only drawback is expense.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I bought a heat gun to save expense, and after a week of cooking melted the plastic case and it would not light.  My Looftlighter works great, and will not melt.  The only drawback is expense.
    I've seen one (Looftlighter) my local dealer uses that the outer aluminum shroud is melted/eaten away. I know they use the heck out of it and have absolutely no idea how long it has been in service. I often wondered if someone forgot about it while it was lighting the charcoal.
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    I enjoy my Looftlighter too. It is on the more expensive side, buy worth it to me.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    My heat gun is metal, I just set it in the coals and walk away, works great.
  • I paid $20 for my heat gun from Harbor Freight and it is on sale for $12 right now!!! It works great on good charcoal. If I have a really sparky charcoal it is made worse by blowing hot air or MAPP gas at it. I use a Weber chimney in those cases.

I really like the Weber chimney. It gets every piece of charcoal glowing in under 10 minutes. I wouldn't use anything else for a HIGH temp cook like a pizza, or a LOW and slow where I want to make sure it burns evenly, thoroughly, and maintenance free.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • My heat gun is metal, I just set it in the coals and walk away, works great.
    Yep, they have a metal one for $40 too. I'm just careful with my heat gun. It take 20 seconds to light a single location, why would someone shove it in and walk away? Actually, when I use the heat gun I let my 5 year old daughter light the fire.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    To grab my beer and not worry about sparks hitting my hands? Why hold it if you don't have to ?
    I move it after it lights, and light in another area depending on the cook.
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Thanks to all for the great advise on the looft lighter, I really like this forum. I have seen your tubes of it, I like how fast it starts the lump. But I was a little drawn back by the price of $79 bucks, being that I have the BGE electric starter. I will have too have the looftlighter now for sure!  :-)    
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
     I've seen one (Looftlighter) my local dealer uses that the outer aluminum shroud is melted/eaten away. I know they use the heck out of it and have absolutely no idea how long it has been in service. I often wondered if someone forgot about it while it was lighting the charcoal.
    You can't leave a LL on the coals and forget it.  The on switch does not lock, you have to hold it on.  The price is a put off, but the device is well built and effective.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I just searched for a Harbor Freight coupon and found one that brought the total price down to $7.99 for the heat gun. I have one on the way. Here is the coupon code: 90028094

Sorry to hijack the thread but that's a great deal.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC