Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your method....

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my millionth Boston butt for Kentucky derby dinner tomorrow around 7:30. 9.2 pound bone in butt. Been doing these things the same for years. Bad byrons butt rub 250 dome and indirect with apple smoke until 195 internal. Pull and rest until time for dinner. I plan to have her on the egg at 5am and pull her from the egg around 6 so I can watch the derby. Will adjust temp to make sure I get her there in time. So, just wondering how you guys and gals do it. Just can't bring myself to turbo butt it. And go.....
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Dang, Chubbs. I'm thinkin' about doin' it your way! Boneless, though.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Don't change a thing Chubbs.  I do mine this way except I let it get to 200.  Used to put them in foil at about 150 meat temp, but I stop doing that and just let them stay right in smoker until finished.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2012
    I'm basically the same but I aim for 275* to reduce the time.  I see no reason for it to rest, other than it is hot to pull if it does not sit for 30 minutes or so.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I'm all in for low&slow for a couple of reasons-flavor and the chance for extended adult beverage consumption time.  Besides, I like the texture of the meat and bark-I can plan that far ahead:)  Go Baby, Go-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i use dizzy pig when i have it. like to mix up the wood, 2/3 fruit wood, 1/3 hickory. mostly i use cherry and some hickory bark
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LamajSmokes
    LamajSmokes Posts: 10

butt rub…225-250 until it hits 195’ish…foil, towel, cooler until ready to pull...

… pull pork in two or three disposable aluminum baking tins…cover w/ foil (no vinegar, no sauce)…put one on the table…place the other one or two, stacked back into a <200 egg…remove remaining as necessary

• LamajSmokes
    LamajSmokes Posts: 10

butt rub…225-250 until it hits 195’ish…foil, towel, cooler until ready to pull...

… pull pork in two or three disposable aluminum baking tins…cover w/ foil (no vinegar, no sauce)…put one on the table…place the other one or two, stacked back into a <200 egg…remove remaining as necessary

apple, pecan, or cherry
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2012
    I'm all in for low&slow for a couple of reasons-flavor and the chance for extended adult beverage consumption time.  Besides, I like the texture of the meat and bark-I can plan that far ahead:)  Go Baby, Go-
    With an 8lb at 275ish, it still takes about 8 hrs.   Plenty of time for adult beverages and I'm not up at O dark 30 to get the grill going.  :)

I could not tell any difference in flavor or bark between a butt done at 250* and one done at 275*+.  Unlike the turbo butts, no foil is needed so the bark is crispy and yummy. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • lousubcap
    @ Ragtop99-thanks for the update-will have to give it a go-no foil is my kinda cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I cook at 275 quite a bit. It's still low and slow and agreed that no foil is needed. Same results, just a little faster.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Does anyone else try tenting over the butt? I find with the bigger ones that they will get pretty dark during a long cook. I don't really crutch it, but just tent some foil loosely over the butt for a few hours in the middle of the cook. Bark still comes out pretty crispy, but has more of that red color than the black/brown. The darker crust really doesn't taste bad, it is just more of a presentation thing for me.
  • uh....I'm going to go with a no on that one :) (this is actually a brisket, but you get the idea)

Actually, I have no issue with it and think it's probably a good idea. I'm just lazy and I find satisfaction in pulling things like this out of my egg and then slicing in to it and finding the most ethereal gooey deliciousness inside.

• That pic above is this brisket once cut into:
  • Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    Rub Byron's rub 250 on the egg bring it to 165 then foil and bring it up to 195. Towel in the cooler for about 2 hours.
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Foil = Not happening.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Foil is not popular? I don't actually wrap the whole butt. I try to keep the foil from touching the meat. Just a barrier to keep the meat from darkening too much. It has worked pretty well, giving me a better appearance. It is like covering the breast on a turkey.
  • It's popular enough. I have no issues with doing it. I just like the meteorite look to my meats. Totally personal preference And I will definitely try it next cook.
  • lousubcap
    Google "Texas Crutch" and you will learn all you want about foil-it has a place especially in competitions but given I am of the lazy low&slow crowd I will avoid it if at all possible. Again another opinion and we all know what those are worth..