Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow to season

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,665
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
after sanding the 12 inch lodge smooth, i went to season it, some time on the burner then 4 hours at 350 in the oven and 4 coats of lard, barely a straw color, have seen this with one of my woks. how long before it looks black like my 10 inch lodge, never tried to season a smooth cast iron before

and my 10 inch regular lodge

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    When I moved to a farm, an old farmer took me under his wing, and taught me 100 years of culture in just a few years.  I remember well when I'd ask him ... "Mr. Remmert, when will the potatoes be ready ?"  His answer was always "When they're ready".

After awhile, I figured it out.  You don't question "when" something will be ready or "how long" something will take.  It's ready when it's ready.  To some, that philosophy may sound flippant, but to me, I've learned that it is very intrinsic and self evident.  It has helped me in many other aspects of life.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    When I moved to a farm, an old farmer took me under his wing, and taught me 100 years of culture in just a few years.  I remember well when I'd ask him ... "Mr. Remmert, when will the potatoes be ready ?"  His answer was always "When they're ready".

After awhile, I figured it out.  You don't question "when" something will be ready or "how long" something will take.  It's ready when it's ready.  To some, that philosophy may be flippant, but to me, I've learned that it is very intrinsic and self evident.  It has helped me in many other aspects of life.
    Very good advice. 
  • fishlessman
    VI im in no hurry for it to turn black, its ready to cook on now as strange as it looks
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    You could do what Mrs. Tane Chan at the Wok Shop does, and blacken some chives in a tablespoon of oil in your hot skillet.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • fishlessman
    You could do what Mrs. Tane Chan at the Wok Shop does, and blacken some chives in a tablespoon of oil in your hot skillet.
    i remember reading in the breath of a wok book that some wok chef had her wok a light honey brown at home, no real need to get it black other than a desire or false belief it should be black. it'll get there some day, especially if it goes in the egg
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2012

For the old stuff, each piece seasons differently.  Even when two pieces are identical.  Some pieces will turn jet black.  Others a really dark brown.  Some will be charcoal gray.  That's using the same oil, same oven, same temp, etc.

At 3 o'clock fishless, looks like you may have overseasoned?  The oil leaked from the pores and hardened.  May want to start over.  If so, just spray some oven cleaner on it, let sit, and wash. 

Increase your oven temp to at least 450, better yet 500.  Ditch the lard and use grapeseed oil.  Flaxseed oil would work too.  Season for one hr, shut down, cool for two hours, repeat.

Some recommend seasoning once and using.  You can do that with Lodge-like CI.  One or two seasonings and it's good to go.  Not with the vintage CI.  

It's critical to build a solid, even, foundation.  At a minimum, I would not use until at least a half dozen seasonings. 

Once seasoned properly, all I do is spray with Pam and wipe with a paper towel inbetween cooks.      

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Looks great.  Fry some cheap onion greens in there and get cooking!

For fun, you could take it to your favorite restaurant and pay them $5 to soak it in the deep fryer for an hour... 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!