Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biggest Rock Yet

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
RO lump.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    That's what my wife said when I bought her her last diamond.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I am getting fed up with Royal Oak. The last 4 bags have been at least 50% very small lump. I am talking quarter sized pieces. There may only be 5 or 6 pieces that are 4". I am going to switch back to Wicked Good I think. A bit harder to light for sure...but no where near the amount of airflow impeding bitty chunks.

NewEnglandEgger
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I am getting fed up with Royal Oak. The last 4 bags have been at least 50% very small lump. I am talking quarter sized pieces. There may only be 5 or 6 pieces that are 4". I am going to switch back to Wicked Good I think. A bit harder to light for sure...but no where near the amount of airflow impeding bitty chunks.

NewEnglandEgger
    Every bag I have opened with the new 8.8lb size and the new graphics, have been total crap. All grape size pieces and dust. No more RO for this guy. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I found a big rock today in my Humphrey. However, I couldn't be happier with the size and quality of the lump. My smallest pieces are as big as Royal Oak large pieces. I think occasional rocks are par for the course with lump.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I just opened a bag a RO new bag 8.8 lb new graphic and it was awesome!! I haven't opened as many bags as you guys but this was big pieces nice solid lump. I've used half of the bag and it's been a great bag.

I bought a couple bags this weekend so I wouldn't have to go to store for a whole hope I'm not disappointed with next bag

XLBGE 
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Same thing here with my last couple RO bags. I just took a trip to Ace, my local does not stock Wicked Good, but will order me some. 21 bucks per bag. With he new 8.8 bags of RO that's 75 cents/lb vs. 95 cents/lb for WG. With the difference in burn time that makes the price really close. Time for me to switch.

George
    George
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    This is what happens to any company that deals with Walmart. Walmart starts hassling them about bringing the cost down and they cut corners to make it happen rather than lose the huge amount of sales that Walmart represents.

You say that the same company makes BGE, RO, and other brands? I bet they started sifting the bigger pieces out of the RO branded product to make it cheaper.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Sold on Wicked Good - havent observed the difficulty in lighting.

Killed the fire after 20 some odd hours this weekend, still had charcoal left over.  I think it would have gone 30 hours....

Cookin in Texas
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I'm not going to bash RO. My last bag was full of big chunks and it has been fairly consistent. It is still my go to in a pinch, or when I run out of Humphrey. Seriously guys, if you have a place to store it, check out a pallet of Humphrey. My cost, including shipping, was the same as RO. I picked up the order at a shipping hub, which brought down shipping costs. They loaded the entire pallet on my truck with a fork lift. They are based in PA, but the product ships from Ohio. I live in PA. Shipping rates, of course, may vary but it is worth a look.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I've said many times I was not crazy about RO. I've heard it said on here many times it is the same as b g e. I just opened a bag of bge and it definitely seems to be a better quality. They may be made at the same place but that's it.. To be fair I tried four bags of RO and this is my first of BGE. We will see.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    FWIW, my last bag of RO was a 20lber from a place called Food Basics, it was the red bag with "Made in the USA" on the front. Same decent quality lump I've had in the past, I went back and bought 2 more (all I can hoard hide in the house. :) )

Doc & Travis, where did you get them from? 
    Like Rich said, I would doubt that in Wally World's effort to undercut everyone they pick up the dregs at a steep discount.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I bought 20 bags in my first leap of fath at a Walmart.  Actually mine has been fine in the 8.8 bags, decent sized and less dust than I was getting in BGE 25 pound bags.  I don't think any more stones than in the BGE brand, but I just had to post that big one.

The BGE was really good, but costs twice as much.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I just went through 4 of the new 8.8 pound bags of RO from Walmart and didn't notice any change they were pretty much all decent sized pieces. The RO is perfect for my small and mini when I only had Wicked Good I had to pick through the bag to get pieces that worked in them and save the huge pieces for my large. I am going to check my local ace for Wicked Good though because its nice for long cooks.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    FWIW, my last bag of RO was a 20lber from a place called Food Basics, it was the red bag with "Made in the USA" on the front. Same decent quality lump I've had in the past, I went back and bought 2 more (all I can hoard hide in the house. :) )

Doc & Travis, where did you get them from? 

Like Rich said, I would doubt that in Wally World's effort to undercut everyone they pick up the dregs at a steep discount.
    Wally world. For the record, alcohol and lump are the only thing I buy at walmart. I have been using Central Market lump from HEB and it is great. The only hit it takes is that it is harder to light and sparks just a little when I put the heat gun to it. The harder to light is offset by how long it last in my eyes, though.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Trav, if you like CM then you will love Best of the West. It's 100% mesquite just like CM but the pieces are huge and it's $15 for 40lb. We'll get together for lunch or something and I'll throw a bag in the truck for you to try.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Lump is a total cr^p shoot. If i limited my purchases to rock-free, perfect-sized, no-spark lump, I'd be stuck using my gasser.

I dont have the magical perfect brands (insert current mythical unicorn brand name here) available near me.

Do what your wives all learned to do. Stop looking for 'perfect' and settle for 'good enough'

Never met a lump that wouldnt burn and burn just fine, regardless of size, rocks, etc. Except the sparking hell of South American-sourced R.O.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Do what your wives all learned to do. Stop looking for 'perfect' and settle for 'good enough'  
    Ouch! 
    LOL  =))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    Ouch! 
    LOL  =))
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options

I have found that charcoal can be like religion to us Q'ers so I have avoided such conversation in recent times. 

Having said that... I have been using BGE lump for 3 years and like it better than the RO I was getting at Wal-Mart prior to my egg purchase. <ducks head>

*all views expressed in this post are purely the opinion of the writer and not intended to impugn the choices of any other member of the forum.* ;)

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have been using BGE lump for 3 years and like it better than the RO I was getting at Wal-Mart prior to my egg purchase. <ducks head>

I like BGE too, but not enough to pay twice as much.

• Egg Juju
    Options

and it only took 6 minutes... a new record!

I like BGE too, but not enough to pay twice as much.
    I do...
  • stike
    Options
    BGE lump is Royal Oak in a different bag. Royal Oak makes BGE Lump
  • Egg Juju
    Options
    BGE lump is Royal Oak in a different bag. Royal Oak makes BGE Lump

I've heard that...
  • stike
    Options
    it's the truth... 
    how a bag is handled at the store is important too.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Never thought of that.  Obviously the bags can get crunched and crushed.

• Egg Juju
    edited May 2012
    Options
    it's the truth... 

I believe you... the contents of the bag are not the same when opened at my home.  I used the RO lump for 2 years in my pro-Q and it was small to medium pieces.  I was given a bag of BGE lump at the eggfest and I have never used anything else-- huge difference.  Maybe it is the local store personnel.  Maybe it is the truck driver that delivers it.  Maybe a lot of things.

And... I am sure this is a location difference... but here... RO is 85 cents per pound and BGE is 1 dollar per pound so to me, maybe only me, it is worth it.

Edit-- for the record... I do not care what it costs. I like it... I buy it.  If someone else likes RO I am happy for them and believe that is what they should buy.  I will not be one of those folks.  I am sorry if you disagree.  Can we please move on.  I promise to return to my previous position of not discussing brands of charcoal ever again.  :)

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    RO is $0.58 per pound where I get it. So far, so good. In fact, I'm going back to buy a few more bags at $9.99 this weekend. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Ro latelly has been garbage there quality control took a big dive! I found lots of rocks and the lump is all 1 inch or smaller and tons of dust! 7 bag out of 10 has been like this! What the.........
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I think store handling is a big factor. I bought a bag of RO at an Agway store who doesn't sell it I'm high volume. Big pieces of lump. Wal Mart, small to medium size. BGE is 2x the cost of RO here. I didn't see enough of a difference to pay the price difference. Anyway, both are better than cowboy.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have started using Cowboy. Every single bag I have purchased in Columbia SC (~20bags) has had huge pieces. RO has been terrible from day 1 for me. Small and dusty. Just my opinion on my personal eggsperience.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013