Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southwestern sauce

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've said it before on other threads, but I have become a sauce freak.  This time, I found a recipe for Southwestern Sauce I wanted to try.  I decided it wasn't really "southwestern" because it didn't have chipotle powder or cumin in it, so I added it.  Turned out really good.  If you want a sauce for beef that's really spicy and a bit warm, you might want to try this.  I cooked flap steak and had twice baked potatoes with it. (Pinot Noir for wine).

I cooked the potato on the mini.  It barely fit.

Flap steak

I was going to put the potato back into it's skin once I added the "twice baked" additions, but I screwed the skin up.  So, I put the potatoes in a ceramic boat, put the pizza stone on the grid, and melted the cheese in the Egg.

Here's the plated dinner with the sauce added to the flap steak.

Here is the recipe (with my additions) if you'd like to try it.  I like to give credit, but I can't find the website again.

• 2 cloves Garlic, minced

• 3 tablespoons Shallots, minced

• 1 ½ tablespoons Tomato paste

• 3 tablespoons Creole mustard

• ½ teaspoon Peppercorns, black, crushed

• 2 cups Chicken broth

• 3 tablespoons Maple syrup, real

• ¼ cup Cider vinegar

• 1 teaspoon Salt

• ¾ teaspoon Black pepper, fresh ground

• 2 ½ teaspoons Cilantro

• ½ teaspoon Chipotle Chile powder

• 1 teaspoon Cumin

1.Heat ½ Tablespoon of the Oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the Garlic and Shallots until aromatic, 1-2 minutes; add Tomato Paste and cook until slightly browned, about 2 minutes
2.Add the Mustard, Black Peppercorns, Chicken Broth, Maple Syrup, Vinegar, Salt and Pepper, chipotle powder and cumin
3.Simmer until mixture reduces to a sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
4.Finish the sauce with the Cilantro and serve over steak.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments