Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever smoked beef tongue?

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
A coworker who lives on a farm gets a cow processed every year, and their family isn't really in to the ribs (or briskets really).  So I was made an offer: they give me the ribs and maybe a brisket if I would smoke two of their beef tongues.  

I want to do it, not simply for the free beef, but for the challenge.  However, I don't want to disappoint. So I'm going to research for a while to see the best way to do this.

I'm looking here for firsthand experience from those who have tried cooking pork tongue. Whether it was good or bad, I'd love to hear your personal experience.

Thanks in advance for any information
Frank

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    nyuk!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    No and that is only half of it.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Shouldn't be anything to it. Hope you can find you something good. I'd try it (eat it or smoke it). Sounds like a good deal! But I understand you wanting to put out a good tongue

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Just google. I was gonna paste some stuff but found a ton!

XLBGE 
  • FxLynch
    I saw a bunch of stuff on google but it's harder to converse with other forums or blogs since I don't want to join, was hoping someone here had some personal cook experience.  Thanks for the encouragement though.  I'll probably do like I always do, over research then just combine what I find into one final recipe.
  • FxLynch
    Thanks for that link actually, I hadn't seen that one. :)
  • MrCookingNurse
    Oh yea some personal experience would help so much. Sounds like you research like I do. Ha

XLBGE 
  • I know i can be a bit :) low brow in my humor but It takes a special breed of cat to have a pot smoking cow pic at his immediate disposal. Well played, sir.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I know i can be a bit :) low brow in my humor but It takes a special breed of cat to have a pot smoking cow pic at his immediate disposal. Well played, sir.

Ha that response made me laugh out loud
    Boom
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    OMG, I LOVE beef tongue / lengua.  Let me know how it turns out!  Used to slow cooking it.
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I tried beef tongue, I found it texturally and visually hard to eat, plus I'm sure my inner voice was screaming about eating tongue. I like some other odd cuts at times, but no thanks on tongue for me.

I'm sure your friends will enjoy the Egg smoked tongue though!
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • FxLynch
    @ Z and Mattlock, when you ate it was it someone else who prepared it, or you?

I had it on tacos at a Mexican restaurant but I think they boiled it.  It was super tender, and good on tacos but I'm not sure about it as a main dish.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Not sure how it would be smoked, but tongue tacos are incredible. I would follow the advice of the link and precook to get the skin off before going in the egg.

George
    George
  • FxLynch
    Yeah I'm definitely thinking the precook is in order.  Seems the only people who don't do the boil to remove skin do the quick grill method.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

nah - dont even want to see those pictures

Cookin in Texas
  • FxLynch

Well it will be easy not to click on the thread again then, sir.  

Although I made this thread in a completely earnest effort to get advice on a new cooking challenge, it has served as an interesting study in human behavior on the internet.  I am starting to see why some people on this forum have such high "post counts".  I find it humorous that all the comments in this thread that are giving input to the actual topic are by people with small post counts, while the useless comments are by the opposite.  Sure explains how a post count can get so high...just commenting on threads in which you have no relevant information.  I could be famous here some day with this secret!!

Frank
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Usually other people. Had it braised, boiled, crockpot, roasted, etc.  Usually in tacos, but also for tortas or other things.  I like it a lot.  Tenderness in my meat is very important to me and others.
  • FxLynch
    Thanks Z,
    Yeah I'm sure the place I ate it had boiled it.  I've heard that after it is smoked, cooling it and then later slicing it is almost like a sandwich meat.  I believe that is their plans for it.  Mine was served warm, in a taco, and it seems most Mexican restaurants here boil all their meats.

Frank
  • boatbum

Well it will be easy not to click on the thread again then, sir.  

Although I made this thread in a completely earnest effort to get advice on a new cooking challenge, it has served as an interesting study in human behavior on the internet.  I am starting to see why some people on this forum have such high "post counts".  I find it humorous that all the comments in this thread that are giving input to the actual topic are by people with small post counts, while the useless comments are by the opposite.  Sure explains how a post count can get so high...just commenting on threads in which you have no relevant information.  I could be famous here some day with this secret!!

Frank

Frank,

This was not a critical comment about the topic, just - an expression within the community that I did not have any knowledge, experience, or in fact interest in cooking beef tongues.   Or even exploring the topic.   Yes, I have tasted beef tongue before, and frankly, will never taste it again.  Does not mean that you should not cook and eat to your hearts content.  Only about my personal choice.

If you judge a person by "post counts" -- you are missing the point of this forum.   Some of the most valuable advice I have recieved from this forum has been from people who have relatively low post counts.

I would not have even responded, if you had not copied my response in a quote.  But since you did, then I will respond ...

Maybe a persons post count is high cause they just post meaningless things.   Maybe a persons post count grows cause they welcome new people to the forum.   Maybe a persons post count grows cause they have positive comments about other peoples cooks.

Sir, I am offended that you singled out my post, for a quote, then to go through your diatribe about post counts -- inferring that the only reason I responded was to drive up my post count.

****  Moderator  ** would you please deduct 50 from my post count?

I for one, truly value this forum. For what I have learned, and what I will learn.   Yes, I try to be welcoming, supportive, and thankful for what others post.   No, it is not about driving up my post count.

I think, if a person was to review, all 400+ posts, there has never been anything negative from me until this post.  Frank - you just  brought that out in me dude.

Enjoy your beef tongue.

Cookin in Texas
  • FxLynch
    Boatbum,
    I respect that, and in retrospect did not mean to single you out, although you are correct in saying that I did.

I discussed this offer to cook tonight at the hospital as I finished a very busy night of work.  I came home wondering how to cook the requested meat for my coworker.  I winded down by sitting and reading journal articles on the web, and each time my email went off saying someone replied, I clicked the link hoping for some insight on the question I posted.

Each time I stopped reading the journal, and came to the sight, I was disappointed that I wasn't receiving information. So, my frustration wasn't that you posted that you weren't keen on the meat I was cooking, it was a build up of earnestly seeking help and continuously clicking on the forum to see non helpful replies that lead to my post.

I respect your post, and that you weren't trying to be offensive or not add to the post.  It was a cumulative effect that caused me to post.  It is unfortunate that I quoted your post and then went on the diatribe in the same reply.  I apologize that it seems I singled you out. That wasn't my intention, although I understand why you perceived it to be such.

I do  offer my apologies.

Frank
  • boatbum

Accepted, lets figure out what we have common interest in cooking - and make that the best we can through cooperative efforts.

Cookin in Texas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've smoked beef tongue quite a few times. I haven't settled on a method, but here are a few things I do.

Some tongues have very little "root" left on, others will have almost as much root as tongue. I've read that the root may have bits of bone inside, so I awlays check. Never found any, but have cut away bits of blood vessel and other tough chuncks.

I think brining makes for a milder flavor. The root can have an especially strong flavor. The root also is somewhat permeable, so the time in the brine adds moisture.

The "skin" has to come off. It can be sliced away before any cooking, but is very tough. I pressure cook for 10 minutes. It becomes just soft enough that I can peel it away in little shreds. Alternatively, boil till it is just turning grey.

After de-skinning, I have placed the tongue in a marinade. That did add flavor, but the final product is likely to be so rich that it doesn't need much extra flavor.

When I started cooking tongue, I would do it in 1 big piece. I found that the thin tip was often overcooked. I have since cut the tongue into at least 2 pieces, if not more, so the thicker back portion is thinned, and cooks at about the same rate as the tip. And, because some people have trouble looking at the tongue intact, dividing it into chunks that look pretty much like ahunk of roast helps w. presentation.

Season as you like. Just salt and pepper works for me, but I usually add a bit of something more exotic, like coriander, allspice, or nutmeg. During a long low and slow cook, it can pick up lots of smoke flavor. Adjust the smoke level to your liking. I haven't had to mop the pieces, but I do turn them for even cooking. And, because of different cooking rates, I remove pieces as they reach 195F.

The aim of the cook is to turn as much of the connective tissue to gel as possible. I'd guess that some portions of the tongue are half connective tissue evenly intermingled with muscle. Once cooked, portions will have a rather bologna-like texture. The root may still have some strips that are rather chewy. Generally, its good sliced thin.

In fact, I think I prefer it chilled, and then sliced, and waved with a bit of extra sauce.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Since the tongue,at least human tongue, is mostly muscle with the layers oriented in different directioins giving it the range of movement and strength we see, I wonder if it would not be the ideal meat for jerky?? Any thoughts (pertinent to the question).I realize that there is a lot of low hanging fruit for humor here. Have only had it once and found it tough.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ignore people that dismiss something without trying it.  their opinion doesn't count for anything. it's uninformed.

sorry, that's how i see it. call me dismissive.  but i only dismiss those that are dismissive.

post some pics, and as you said, those who can't handle it can decide to click another post, maybe something safe like skinless chicken breast, the choice of american  children for the past 20 years.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MrCookingNurse
    My wife is going to be thrilled but this thread has got me extremely curious.

A lot of the stuff I googled for you looks like it would be extremely tender and flavorful.

Now I'm not saying I'm on my way to Kroger as I type. But Its tempting me to cook a tongue. I've never had one before and might just have to throw one on the egg.

Please post a new thread with pics and details if/when you cook this.

@stike
    Well spoken.

XLBGE 
  • FxLynch
    @gdenby- thanks for the extensive information, that actually explains quite a lot, and I like the idea of cutting it into more even sizes, both for cooking and presentation.  The only information I got from my coworker about their preferences is that they don't like spicy rubs, or sweet rubs, and that they plan to eat it cold.

If I actually do the cook for them, I'll try to document it as well as I can.

Thanks,
    Frank
  • stike
    edited May 2012
    Jane Grigson's "Charcuterie and French Pork Cooking" has a bunch of recipes for pork tongue, which could be converted I'm sure.  Mostly used as filling in pates (they're smaller than beef tongues, and usually there's just one on hand).  As for mild small main dishes,  there's a recipe for using a few pork tongues and braising in a mild herb broth. I would think you could sub one large beef tongue for the 2 to 3 pounds of pork tongue it requires.  I need to figure a way to get it out of the Kindle.  hahaha but essentially it is a slow braise in highly herbed liquid.  cooled, bits and skin and any bone removed.  then sliced and served cold

but here's a recipe for pickled beef tongue, to be served as a cold cut, from Victoria Wise's "American Charcuterie". book was recommended to me by LittleChef on the other forum.

• stike
    edited May 2012
    rats. forgot this.
    here's the pickle.

2 pounds fine sea salt
    1 pound brown sugar
    4 gal water

2 heads garlic unpeeled
    4 bay leaves
    10 sprigs thyme ( or 2 tsp dried)
    6 sprigs sage (or 2 tsp dried)
    10 juniper berries
    4 whole cloves
    15 black pepper corns
    2 C water

23 grams pink salts for 5 pounds meat

Salt/sugar/4 gals water into a clean non-reactive vessel.

evrything else except (pink salts) into a pot, bring to boil, simmer 1 minute, add pink salts, and add to the brine.  allow to cool.

Aromatic Water for cooking:
    1 C white wine
    3 Q water
    1 Med onion, qtr'd.
    2 garlic cloves peeled/halved
    2 sprigs thyme or 1/2 tsp dry
    1 bay leaf
    3 whole cloves
    3 allspice berries

Sorry.  Guessing this may be 'too much'.  I didn't realize the pickling and water were as involved. but all the best stuff is.  I wonder how this would be.  Tongue sounds very mild, and the intense flavor from the pickle and cooking water are designed to jam as much flavor in there as possible.

The pickling water can be reused, but needs periodic refreshing.  Most older french kitchens kept a brine pot handy and just dropped in mat to keep it (no refrigeration) until it was used.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I grew up on boiled beef tongue.  My brother and I used to fight over the tip, because that's where the leanest meat was.  I didn't even realize what it was (I thought it was spelled tung) until I was in high school and a friend asked if he could have one of my sandwiches.  I gave him my tongue sandwich.  He tasted it and asked what it was.  I said "tung".  He threw the sandwich as far as he could.  I wondered why he did that.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious