Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone make jerky on an egg?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just curious. If so how did you do it?
Boom

Comments

• DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    I made some chicken jerky for dog treats last weekend. Thin sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts and laid out on a cookie sheet with holes, set temp at 225F, turned them at 1 hr,cooked for another hour or so and voila! No marinade or rub as it was for my dog but took some over to a friend's for his dog and his wife ate about half. I had tried it with beef but didn't watch the temp and time so it was "crispy". Dog still liked it.Need to work on that a bit.I was thinking of using skewers to picure on end of each strip of meat, raise the grid and hang the  strips thru the grate.Could get a lot more meat on that way.Heat was indirect.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Hmmm this post is wack.... Looking for jerky... Dog treats... Then we see his wife ate them....

XLBGE 
  • DOCED
    Options
    Hey, my dog eats better than most people and jerky is jerky.My wife didn't eat them my friends wife did,just to be clear.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Ur post was clear... Guess the sarcasm feel off over the web. No hatin just joking

XLBGE 
  • DOCED
    Options
    I know, just messin back. I am going to make some for me with spices/marinade though.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

haven't tried on egg yet - but if and when I do I will base it on my Bradley electric smoker.  I make it on there quite often.  3/16 to 1/4" thick, 150 degrees for 3 hrs, let temp rise to 180 for another hour and usually done. 

I would think on the egg it would take longer at 150 as the egg keeps the moisture in the meat better, so might have to budget a couple more hours.  Just speculating

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I'd be interested to see what success others have had.  225 seems a bit high for Jerky, but I've only seen it done on a contraption specific for making Jerky.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    beef and salmon candy.  aneasier method to do on the egg because some find it difficult to hold low temps of 145 is to do the mound method, raise the grill and dump a pile on, flip every hour or so til the pieces shrink and then separate and continue. ive never timed it, but it takes way longer than the 3 hours posted on the egg. the pic was about 145 raised direct

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I did a search on YouTube and found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsPF6AjaojY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Going to try that.
    Boom
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    I've done it a couple times.  Saw some thin beef strips at Kroger labeled "stir fry beef".  Marinated it in Kroger brand marinade overnight.  Did not bother to dry it as suggested on the video, just added dizzy dust and put it on egg, indirect at around 185 with smoke.  It was done after approx 4 hours and pretty tasty. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I use Top Round.

My last batch I did about a year ago.

About 3 1/2 lbs. of Top Round sliced at 1/4". Ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs. after shrinkage. I used the DigiQ set to 165. Worked great. Marinated for about a day. Started taking jerky off the top rack after about 3 hours. Stuff on the bottom took a total of 6 hours.

Next time I'll rotate the racks throughout the cook as it is clearly hotter at the top of the dome. Overall it turned out really good.

Jerky marinade:
    1/4 C sugar
    3 T Tender Quick
    1/4 C honey
    1/8 C Country Bob's sauce
    1/2 T garlic powder
    2 T Texas BBQ Rub
    1/4 t hot chipotle powder
    1 C water
    1/8 C kosher salt

Packerland, Wisconsin