Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this talk about Pizza!

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Seeing all the different recipes for pizza & sauces, I thought I'd post mine.  I've got into pizza about 5 years ago, built a wood fired oven (after buying my LBGE), and have settled in on few dough & sauce recipes.  They differ depending on whether I use the oven in the house/Egg or the WFO.  I use bakers percentages for all my recipes so the results are repeatable.  The $25 I spent on my scale was about the best money spent to get to my final dough. Here's my dough recipe for the Egg & indoor oven.

Flour (75% AP and 25% Caputo)  100%

Water  65%

Salt  1.5%

Olive Oil  2%

Yeast  .5%

(For the WFO, I eliminate the oil and use 100% Caputo.  The Caputo is a great & flavorful flour, but it does not brown in a home oven or temps under ~650*)

I use my Electrolux DLX to knead the dough until it's (almost) smooth. (around 6-8 minutes)  Then I'll dump it on a floured counter and do 1 or 2 stretch & folds and into a coverd & Pam'd bowl for 2 hours.  After the 2 hours on the counter, I'll gently punch down and form into approximately 300 gram balls.  The ones I'm going to use I'll put in the fridge for 24-48 hours for a cold ferment (in individual Pam'd & covered containers), and the balance will be put into baggies and frozen.  After the cold ferment, I'll let them come to room temp (1/2 hour to 1 hour) and then form the skins.  I'll cover them with a damp towel while they wait to be baked.  I preheat my oven or Egg to 550* (with platesetter & pizza stone) and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and starts getting some leopard spots. 

For the Sauce:

I'll use a can of San Marzano tomatoes or fresh roma tomatoes from my garden, which I'll drain and crush by hand.  You don't want them to be too wet.  Then I'll add one of two seasoning blends.  

1)  Easy - Penzey's Pizza Spice, Salt & Pepper

2)  Less Easy - Mix up the following dry spices:  4- Oregano, 1 Parsley, 4 Basil, 1 Fennel, 2 Rosemary, 2 Thyme, 1 Paprika, 1 Black Pepper.  The numbers denote the mix (ie:  if you want to use teaspoons, then you would use 4 tsp Oregan to 1 tsp Parsley & so on)  Once this is put together and mixed, you use a tablespoon (or so) and put it in a small microwaveable dish.  Moisten the spices, not floating in water.  Put it in the microwave on 'Defrost' for 30 second intervals until the oils start to release.  You will smell this.  Once the oils release, dump into the tomatos and mix up.  This is the sauce. 

Toppings: 

For a Neopolitan pizza, I'll add fresh mozzerella on top of the San Marzano mixture.  When the pizza is about done, I'll add some fresh basil and a little olive oil, and then leave it in for another minute or two.  (you don't want to cook the basil, just warm it up)

For a regular pizza, I'll top with a good mozzerella and a little parmigiano or romano.  The family and I have gotten away from other toppings, since we enjoy the flavors of the sauce so much.

Specialty Pizza's - My wife bakes eggplant rounds that are seasoned with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper.  I'll lay those out on a skin and then top with mozzarella.  She'll also saute spinach with olive oil, onion, garlic, salt & pepper.  I'll top that with feta cheese and a little mozzarella since the feta doesn't melt as well.  These are two family & friend favorites at the house. 

Just figured I'd throw my 2 cents in!

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options

Nice write up.  Sound really good.  What made you move away from using your egg, and doing a pizza oven?  Do you burn wood or charcoal in the pizza oven?  Do you do any higher temp Neopolitan pizzas with 100% Caputo in the egg anymore?

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Cowdogs, thanks!  The easy answer is OCD!  I started researching pizza, in general, came across some info on building a WFO and put a design together and built it.  I only burn hardwoods in the WFO and the temps are insane.  When the soot burns off the ceiling and turns white, it's time to cook.  I only do the high temp cooks in the WFO with the Caputo.