Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egghead in training

Jmille15
Jmille15 Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I broke down and replaced the Chargiller with a Large BGE after some conversations with a neighbor who owns one. Was planning on building my own table to avoid the cost of buying/shipping one. Long story short, I found a good plan online (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm) which fit my needs. So off to the local lumber yard to do some wood shopping. After much to do about what type of wood to use, starting with cedar and going up from there, I found a very nice Brazilian walnut that is supposed to have fantastic qualities (but at a cost). Tack on a couple boxes of stainless screws, a custom piece of granite, some stainless bolts, a piece of patio stone, and four castor wheels.. and wala..

After all said and done, I could have saved a Benjamin or two by ordering one, but I could not be happier with how it turned out. And yes, it has been broken in. I can't get over the flavor produced from this thing! What else in life am I missing?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've had an egg for 15 years and just got a table last summer.  You will love the table, it makes prep and saucing, etc much easier.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    .... And yes, it has been broken in. I can't get over the flavor produced from this thing! What else in life am I missing?
    Table looks great but there is a saying around here..... no pics, the cook didn't happen
    :)

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Nice table, great work!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Your own custom table is far superior to the one that the dealers sell. Cedar will last you a lifetime. Congrats on the new egg. Wait until you master pizza making on the egg. You'll never want delivery again.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Grats on the egg... the table is invaluable!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    " What else in life am I missing?"   Nothing that money won't buy ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• " What else in life am I missing?"   Nothing that money won't buy ;)
    I have found on my short time here at the forum that when you ask things like "what else am I missing, or what is your favorite __________?" the answer always = about $300 out of your pocket. These dudes are really good at helping you spend your money :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    There's a lot of $300 stuff too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Snap
    Snap Posts: 5
    New Egghead.  In fact, I am 3 cooks in to a lifetime of smokey deliciousness.  So far have done burgers, ribs, and porksteak....all low and slow.  Even for the burgers and porksteak I have cooked at around 300.  Takes a little longer, but the juice in the meat and the flavor cannot be beat.  I received a L Egg and table, cover, grill brush, charcoal, firestarter, and ash removal tool as a gift from wife and kids.  Glad to be a member of the forum....more glad to be an Egghead.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    New Egghead.  In fact, I am 3 cooks in to a lifetime of smokey deliciousness.  So far have done burgers, ribs, and porksteak....all low and slow.  Even for the burgers and porksteak I have cooked at around 300.  Takes a little longer, but the juice in the meat and the flavor cannot be beat.  I received a L Egg and table, cover, grill brush, charcoal, firestarter, and ash removal tool as a gift from wife and kids.  Glad to be a member of the forum....more glad to be an Egghead.

Now that is one amazing gift-you are in the "owe me" category for a very long time-and every time you are messing with the LBGE you just put more in the "owe me" bank.  But worth it-now to figure out how to manage the weight gain challenge along with the lure of all the extras...

Cheap fix to the raised grid issue-fire bricks.  Cheap option for indirect cooks-fire bricks and another grid (webers work fine.) 

Welcome-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I was able to raise my grid to felt level for $1.27 at the Home Depot....3 bricks/ pavers for about $0.40 each. Some people only use 2.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • erickpanger
    erickpanger Posts: 48
    Nice table but I don't see the required bottle opener. Without the required bottle opener this table does not meet the  BGE regulations. Penalties for not meeting these requirements are that you have to forfeit the table. Please ship to me at your expense for this infraction.

I'm looking forward to this beautiful table outfitted with a proper bottle opener in my backyard :)
  • Jmille15
    Jmille15 Posts: 8
    Ok Erick, you got me on that one.. I rarely do bottled beer because of this beauty that my wife insisted I install last year..

I swear she is a saint. It matches up well with any BBQ.

And for the cooks, so far had a couple rounds of pizzas, burgers, BC Chicken, BB Ribs, Chops, Steaks, and various veggies. Another pic just to satisfy the non-believers

• erickpanger
    erickpanger Posts: 48
    Nice beer fridge I guess we'll let you slide this time. Pizza looks good also .