Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting an Egg Tommrow

Options
Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Geting my First Egg tommrow morning. Even though I am single, I decided to buy the large for the times that I might need the space. Also bought most of the available accessories. Cost of over $1,000.00 I hope it is everything that I have read that it is....[p] I was using the 18 and 22 inch Weber Kettle and cook about 3 times per week. It is nice that I am having it delivered and set up, so this should avoid a lot of problems, just need to learn how to use it. After watching the video 3 times, I am going to try steaks first and then a whole chicken this week-end.[p]If you have any suggestions for first time users, let me know.......[p]

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Rich,
    congratulations and welcome.
    sounds like you've read your way into the fray.
    bona fide first time easy winner? spatchcocked chicken. no special setup (indirect at 300-350), no worries (check for temperature in the thigh and breast), and guaranteed to be the juiciest piece of fowl you've had (that wasn't duck dripping with fat)![p]c41005a.jpg[p]
    good luck and let us know what you wind up with and how it goes.
    best on medium,
    HolySmokes

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Rich,[p]If you are an experienced kettle cooker, you will have no trouble, and you are in for a treat.[p]Single, eh? Not for long. Guys who know how to Egg always become very popular . . . .
  • mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Rich,
    Toss the video - just ask here!!! Somebody will always help!!![p]mule

• wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    Rich,[p]After cooking on Webers for the last 15 years or so, all I can say is getting an egg is like trading in a Taurus for a Mercedes. You won't believe the difference.[p]Mike
  • Chasb
    Chasb Posts: 54
    Options
    Rich,[p]Assuming you have time, my advice would be get use to getting your temps right by starting low. [p]I've had mine 6 days with 5 cooks so far and I have had a tendency to keep my both my vents open to wide and walk away only to come back to 500+ degrees and then having to shut down to get back down where I want too.[p]Hope that helps[p]Chasb
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Rich,
    I would suggest throwing away the video. There are plenty of recipes with easy to follow pictures and/or videos on a few web sites. The first place I would go (especially to learn the proper way to cook a steak - TRex style) is THe Naked Whiz site. Click the link below. Go to the Recipes section and try a few there, then go to the Links section and see the other Egger sites with recipes. There is a world of info out there for you. [p]As far as spending extra for the large - It is worth it! You'll be popular soon. I have the large for just my wife & me, but I cook for others sometimes (more often now). Being able to throw enough pork butts on there to feed over 50 people is wonderful, and cooking for 1 or 2 people on a daily basis is a breeze. I grill an average of 4-5 times per week, year round.

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    Rich,[p]A good book to add to your collection is Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Lots of good recipes and stories. He uses BGEs.