Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the Small

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I received my High-Que grate for my Small this past week, and in preparation for my cook today I pulled out all the half-used lump to install it.  I noticed that only one of the holes in the sides of the fire bowl was open.  After poking them clear I decided to take out the fire ring and bowl completely out, and only then realized that any ash that falls thru these side holes can't really be reached with the Ash Tool (it lies outside the supporting ring).  Looks like every so often we need to take everything out to clean the ash around the outside of the supporting ring.  My Large only had a little bit, but it was piled kinda high on my Small (which I use most of the time).  
That, or I'm already hatching a plot to make an Egg-specific nozzle for my leaf blower... 
:D
Today's cook was a brined Turkey Breast, smoked with pecan.  It didn't suck!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Cleaned out my large today to get it hot and do a pizza. I usually get it pretty clean before each cook just by stirring my ash and sucking out the bottom with a shop vac instead of ash tool. Today I just vacummed the whole thing took out all the ceramics and got it a good vacum before loading up for a hot pizza. This will be my regimen before I do anything low and slow or pizza.

XLBGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great!  Awesome pic too :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • erickpanger
    Options
    It is amazing how hot a clean egg will burn. I did pizza last night after a cleaning. Lite it and went in to prep the pizza. About 30 minutes later walked out to a dome temp that was past all the markings on the dome temp gauge. Closed it up a bit to let it get back to 600F
  • Botch
    Options
    It is amazing how hot a clean egg will burn. I did pizza last night after a cleaning. Lite it and went in to prep the pizza. About 30 minutes later walked out to a dome temp that was past all the markings on the dome temp gauge. Closed it up a bit to let it get back to 600F
    That happened to me too, I wanted to cook the turkey at 350 but my Small shot up to 600 before I realized it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Botch, that cook looks great.  Did you do the brine or was it purchased as pre brined breast?  Mind sharing brine recipe and how long.  For bird, salmon and chicken, pecan is my go to smoke.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Botch
    Options
    It was just 1/4 cup salt, 2 Tbspns turbinado sugar, about 1/2 tsp peppercorns, and a couple bay leaves, dissolved in enough water to cover the breast; overnight brine.  I usually remove the meat from a brine first thing in the morning, and let it air-dry in the frig until cook time (1:00 pm this weekend).  

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thanks Botch. BTW I love your tagline ;-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx