Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Need experienced help

Options
NewEnglandEgger
NewEnglandEgger Posts: 104
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've made several attempts at pizza on my Large Egg. While the results have been ok, they are no where close to what I want.

I'm trying to replicate a quality pizzeria pizza (I am in the Boston area, as a reference). I am satisfied with the crust. It is the sauce and cheese that is in need of serious improvement.

So far I've tried the following:

1. San Marzano tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, which I shredded. This ended up with weak tasting sauce and very wet pizza due to the moisture content of the cheese.

2. Locally jarred pizza sauce and low moisture mozzarella (sargento). This was really bland. Sauce was ok, but I would not use it again.

3. Pastene canned pizza sauce, combo of mozzarella, provolone, asiago, Parmesan (again a pre packaged, shredded cheese). This one was ok, but still not what I am shooting for.

In all cases, I have done a high temp cook (700 degrees or more). The 3rd one had inverted spider + plate setter legs up, grid with ceramic feet on it and then a pizza stone. (gasket is now gone). This did the best job of browning the cheese a bit...which I liked.

I feel like I am missing several key elements...
1. A thicker more robust sauce
2. Saltier cheese maybe?
3. Proper temp...wondering if cooking at close to 700 is not giving the sauce and cheese enough time to actually cook, rather it just quickly melting the cheese?...because it is a short cook (7+ minutes at most).

Would really appreciate some detailed insight from other pizza aficionados.

Tom

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    For sauce, I use the following link: http://danbr7777.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Create-a-Great-Wood-Fire-Pizza

I believe Danbr7777 is a forum member here, but I started using this sauce recipe before I knew that. It's pretty darn good, and better if made a couple days in advance. Pretty darn good if used the same day too.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Options
    Best Sauce ever:

1 8oz can tomato sauce
    1/2 (6oz) can tomato paste
    1/2 tbsp ground oregano
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground paprika

Enjoy
  • JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
    Options
    Tom. I have had good luck with fresh mozzerella as long as you remove excess moisture on a paper towel or cheese cloth.  Squeeze all that water out & your pizza won't be soupy.  I do the same thing to the San Marzano  tomatos.  Take them out of the can squeeze juice into bowl one at a time, liquid is used during the week for other recipes.  Some of the imported brands have very little water in the juice. 

Been trying to stay away from the salt but can't help putting a little grating cheese on with the mozzerella.  Good luck

• NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give it another go soon and report back!

Tom

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    NEE - I use fresh rom a tomatoes, peel and core them, and let them sit in a bowl to drain. Once drained I crush them with my hands, strain off a bit more juice if very wet. Then I season with salt, pepper and penzeys pizza spice (or my homemade pizza spice). Let it sit for at least an hour or two or overnite. I also do th same with canned San Marzanos. It very fresh And bright.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Pastorelli Pizza Sauce is great.  You can order it online.