Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking techniques

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was just looking to get some opinions on cold smoking.  I saw the paint can method on the whiz's sight and it looked great.  The problem is procuring a paint can not treated with something on the inside.  I'm weird about the thought of ingesting stuff like that in any way, inhaled or otherwise.  I also saw the smoke pistol at Freds in Shillington and it looked cool.  Expensive but cool.   The paint can idea is cheap and incredibly easy, but the smoke pistol seems convenient.  What are your thoughts.  Any idea where to get a raw metal paint can.  Or could I rig one out of a coffee can?  Thanks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    do you have more than one egg? you can use one as the firebox and the other as a smoke box, connected by some cheap foil dryer-hose (3" dia.)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jerryp
    I wish.  It took skrimping and saving to buy my large.  The paint can idea is appealing because of cost and the tight seal of the lid.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Pretty sure you could buy an empty can. Try a paint store.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    you couldalways use the egg as the firebox and connect it to a cardboard box ala alton brown
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Or a cooler of some sort

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• How bout big chief heating element and pan and plug it in

LET'S EAT
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Lowes and Home Depot sell new,  never used paint cans with lids.
  • jerryp
    you couldalways use the egg as the firebox and connect it to a cardboard box ala alton brown

Wtih respect to Mr.Brown, I find he over-complicates things in an attempt to seem clever.  I tend to be suspicious of his methods.  I think I'll scour the local paint stores.  I've got 5 of everything else needed to make the thing.
  • jerryp
    Lowes and Home Depot sell new,  never used paint cans with lids.

Thanks.  I'll check em out.
  • Little Steven
    I was just looking to get some opinions on cold smoking.  I saw the paint can method on the whiz's sight and it looked great.  The problem is procuring a paint can not treated with something on the inside.  I'm weird about the thought of ingesting stuff like that in any way, inhaled or otherwise.  I also saw the smoke pistol at Freds in Shillington and it looked cool.  Expensive but cool.   The paint can idea is cheap and incredibly easy, but the smoke pistol seems convenient.  What are your thoughts.  Any idea where to get a raw metal paint can.  Or could I rig one out of a coffee can?  Thanks.
    Lot of guys use a soldering iron and coffee can with chunks and briquettes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    screw mr. brown.  that's not the point.  but connecting your egg to a box is pretty simply.  if you had an extra egg, you'd connect the lit one to the unlit one.  same for the box.  fire in the egg you have, exhaust into a box of some sort.  alton doesn't enter into it.
  • Little Steven
    Wow that was intense

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    hahah, never thought of a box.  That's a good idea. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I just get a couple small pieces of lump going in my small and then put a chunk of wood on it or some chips and then put the plate setter in feet up and then fill a baking dish with ice and put that in the plate setters feet and then put the grate down and smoke on the grate right above the ice. I did this to smoke some ground beef for tacos Wednesday night and have done it for cheese many times. The dome temp gets up to about 90 but even the cheese doesn't melt because it is sitting an inch above ice. Or you can do this as mentioned aboveimage

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    edited April 2012
    Check this out! Uses Traegar style wood pellets.  http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8  Look it up on youtube lots of good videos for it.
  • stike
    edited April 2012
    exactly, Lit.  and although you had the space, it should be pointed out that you don't need the egg to be lower than the smoke box.  yours is an ideal situation with the lower egg, but someone with only a large, in a table, could still fire it and pipe the exhaust to a smokebox at or even below the same level.   just don't want anyone thinking they can't do it because their egg is up high.

what's good about this set up is that you can run the fire hotter, to generate continuous smoke (as well as open it and replenish lump or smoking wood), without fussing with the meat in the smoke box.

my firebox runs maybe 300 or better, but the smoke as you say can be basically ambient temp by the time it hits whatever you are smoking