Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebox Grate

Options
SamFerrise
SamFerrise Posts: 556
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Opened up original holes from .562 to .75".  That is a 78% jump in hole area.  My rig should be breathing a lot sweeter now and I am anticipating much more latitude in my heat control.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    What kind of drill is nessasary? Did you use a special bit? Would a 18v hammer drill do the trick?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    SamFerrise - have you used it yet? 

Please let us know if you notice any difference!! 

Hope it works!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    A pillar drill would be the best option for enlarging the holes.
  • gunslingingmonkey
    Options
    please keep us informed on how it works
    North east georgia
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Did my first cook today with the modified grate.  Air flow was excellent.  Much more control just like I anticipated.  I kept a steady 245 degrees for my pork butt chunks.  I found a pork butt at Food Lion on sale for $1.79 lb.  It was sliced into five one pound steaks.  I put my special rub on them and grilled them indirect for 3 hours at 245 then blasted them on direct 450 for 4 minutes per side.  They were better than any steak I ever had.  Amazing!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What kind of drill is nessasary? Did you use a special bit? Would a 18v hammer drill do the trick?
    Don't use the hammer switch on cast iron. Dull your bits real quick.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SamFerrise
    Options
    The grate is cast iron but it has a tough scale on it after all the cooks.  I used a normal High Speed drill bit.  If you have access to vanadium bits they are tougher.  I used a drill press at about 150 rpms.  It cut like a champ.