Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone going to egg fest in Austin this weekend?

2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012

You might want to take the loss on fishing this weekend. Spending several hours at the Fest will give you a year of ideas. For real, you need to come. Where are you?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959

Look for me. I am old, short, over weight ---- NO, that's Gary (VI).  I can say that because I love the guy.

That is me.......... Austin will have for the norm +400 so here is my number 254.289.1877 please call me so we can find each other. I am signed up to cook.

I took a picture of Mickey at the Salado Eggfest.  Here he is.  He likes to show off his tattoo on his chest, so he shouldn't be too hard to recognize.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Well that took about 30 seconds from the time I gave it Gary.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I love the name of the file (Mickey.jpg). Awesome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey

Please understand that Village Idiots picture was his army induction photo for his id card. They made him cut his hair.

• soooooo....how does this work if one wants to cook? Do we cook on the demos and just man a station? Can you cook whatever you want? Any pointers?

• Mickey
    You need to call them and tell the you want to cook. Then just grab a demo when one pops open. Do not try to cook for over an hour (or so) so that others can cook as well.  You do want to spend time talking with all the cooks as to how they do stuff and you will learn so much in a few hours. I see people who  try to cook all day and they miss all the fun of the fest.

• You need to call them and tell the you want to cook. Then just grab a demo when one pops open. Do not try to cook for over an hour (or so) so that others can cook as well.  You do want to spend time talking with all the cooks as to how they do stuff and you will learn so much in a few hours. I see people who  try to cook all day and they miss all the fun of the fest.
    Cool. Think I'll just meet and greet this year. Get a lay of the land and eat some grub (and may have a delicious Iguana-Rita or 2) 
  • Hammond1
    Hammond1 Posts: 31
    Is there a website for details?? I'd love to go. 
  • Http://www.bbqoutfitters.com

See if that works.
  • Mickey
    Bob at BBQ Outfitters puts on a first class event. This will be my 6th year.

• Bob at BBQ Outfitters puts on a first class event. This will be my 6th year.
    I can't wait. If you need a sous chef, I'll be glad to help. I think I'm not going to sign up to cook since it's my first. Just want to check it all out and meet and greet some peeps.

Those guys at BBQ Outfitters have taken very good care of me since I moved back home from WI 4 years ago.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I posted this last Sunday If you are planning to go to the Eggfest in Austin here is info about the meet and greet
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138922/texas-eggfest-april-28-2012
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Yo Cen-Tex, you'll have a great time for sure! My 1st Fest was in Salado and it was a very memorable experience. I had every intention to go to the Austin Fest, but the wife invited me to Vegas and reminded me that we'll have a free suite. Lol. Hard to pass up Vegas. I'll see some of y'all in Athens!! :-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Oh and its a good idea to just chill and pick brains the entire time. Believe it or not, Donald Duck will not steer you wrong! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I'll be there helping Ed "Grillmeister" with the classes and demos.  For those who don't know, the idea for teaching classes at an eggfest was Ed's brain child.  If memory serves me right, Spring Chicken was the first instructor with a breakfast dish.  

Some other eggfest trivia:  the Waldorf fest gave us live music and the Oklahoma fest was the first for an Iron egg chef type competition.  My guess is the biggest for attendance, outside the Eggtoberfest in Atlanta, was Oklahoma's second year,  close to 2000 folks gathered on Route 66.  

see ya Saturday......t 
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    edited April 2012

Tom from the pictures from Leroy and Mike looks like the very first Texas Fest was in Temple.

Got to ask you Tom. Where are pic's of you using your new Mini............

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Bruce and I are signed up to cook on Saturday.  Also, the Meet and Greet is at BBQ Outfitters on Friday night at 6:30.  They are providing the food.  Looking forward to it!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    first texas eggfest, ed had in temple.  I'm guessing, the eggfest university came along about texas eggfest 3 or 4 at the lake campground.  The only thing I've cooked since getting the mini has been a brisket packer, jumbo package of chicky wings and a flat iron.   I need to take some pics with it while still purdy, then I'll fire that bad boy up.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.