Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FrogMat

Options
CatWrangler
CatWrangler Posts: 22
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been researching FrogMats as an addition to my EggArsenal. Anyone use them or have suggestions on a "like" product? Looking for something to do fish & other small/delicate cooks with.

Thanks!
Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Really good product!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CatWrangler
    Options
    another question....

I have a Med BGE. Can FrogMats be cut? I am thinking about ordering a larger screen then cutting it down so I have one full size along with a quarter/half size?

Thanks again!
    Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Yes, the can be cut pretty easily. I cut one down for usage in my Small.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Where is the best place to purchase the frogmat?
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Frogmat? Whatzit?
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Info on Frogmats: http://frogmats.com/Sales_Info.html

Frogmat's list of dealers: http://frogmats.com/Dealers___Reviews.html

I purchased mine from a local shop (recently closed) a couple of years ago.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks, I knew I needed one as soon as I saw the name!
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Thanks for the link R2, I was curious about them but much too lazy to google. Unfortunately all the blue letters on black background made me cross eyed and dizzy so I'm still clueless. Maybe I can muscle up the courage to check it out later.  
    8-}
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    ok, couldn't find a pic of one (didn't look too hard) Sounds like my wife's sil-pat
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • CatWrangler
    Options
    Here is one from a previous post

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    worst website ever...what the hell is this thing?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CatWrangler
    Options
    It is a flexible screen that is supposed to resist cooking food from sticking.

I hope I just didnt order a giant piece of sheetrock tape LOL
  • tazcrash
    Options
    @cen-tex: " we're not telling you what it is, but man everyone loves it! And you want no NEED one!"

So catwrangler, its a mesh? They say only use indirect.
    check out silpat (sp?) . You can get that almost anywhere, and even I can't get cheese to stick to it (parmesan crisps mmmmmm).
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Never mind. Saw it was ordered. Good luck let us know how it goes.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited April 2012
    Options

Here's some ways I've used mine. 

Handling chub sausages filled assorted ingredients (they're pretty fragile when you fill them).

With some pizza ingredients:

Meatloaf without a loaf pan:

Burnt ends:

Bacon explosion inspired - this was filled with pulled pork:

I keep forgetting to use it to smoke/roast some nuts.

Hope this is of some help (or at least be easier to look at than their website).

Bay Area, CA
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Looks like hardware cloth
    Eggo in N. MS
  • CatWrangler
    Options
    thanks taz, i like the way you think! burnt parm = happy belly

Im so damned impatient, had to get one & hell it was fairly inexpensive for its worth!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited April 2012
    Options
    They say only use indirect.
    check out silpat (sp?) . You can get that almost anywhere, and even I can't get cheese to stick to it (parmesan crisps mmmmmm).
    Do you use your silpat on the BBQ?  I think my wife would kill me if I took it outside. 

That is one nasty site.  Not even a picture of the product.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • CatWrangler
    Options
    R2, those samples look fantastic. It seems to be holding up pretty well!?!

I think I will use it for some Cobia as soon as it arrives & maybe do some fingerling potatoes to go with...

cheers!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    even though it's FDA ok'd for direct food contact, i am not a huge fan of plastics and silicones used with food.  funny that silicone gaskets raise a hue and cry, but not a silcone grill mat.  >shrug<

one of the guys on the 'other forum' has some bad luck and scorched/melted his silicone muffin pan in the egg. gotta think anyone worried about dreaded fumes might steer clear from silicone.

part of me thinks that we'll understand more about this stuff later on.  like romans using lead in their cookware and utensils.
    :-S
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    edited April 2012
    Options
    They say only use indirect.
    Do you use your silpat on the BBQ?  I think my wife would kill me if I took it outside. 

OK, That thing looks like a silpat without the sheet. 
    And No, I have yet to have a need to try it, and not sure I would. My wife would probably have the same reaction. Those are here "baking babies" for deserts. 

Interesting item. Not sure I see a need yet, but I can see where it would come in handy for fish fillets.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    @cen-tex: " we're not telling you what it is, but man everyone loves it! And you want no NEED one!" So catwrangler, its a mesh? They say only use indirect. check out silpat (sp?) . You can get that almost anywhere, and even I can't get cheese to stick to it (parmesan crisps mmmmmm).

Cen-tex, do you use your Silpat on the grill?  Their web site says not to, but did you find it was ok?  Here is what the website says:

Can I use SILPAT® on the stove top?
    Never use SILPAT® on direct heat, stovetops or hot plates. Never use SILPAT® on the bottom of an oven, on a grill or with a broiler.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @cen-tex: " we're not telling you what it is, but man everyone loves it! And you want no NEED one!" So catwrangler, its a mesh? They say only use indirect. check out silpat (sp?) . You can get that almost anywhere, and even I can't get cheese to stick to it (parmesan crisps mmmmmm).

Cen-tex, do you use your Silpat on the grill?  Their web site says not to, but did you find it was ok?  Here is what the website says:

Can I use SILPAT® on the stove top?
    Never use SILPAT® on direct heat, stovetops or hot plates. Never use SILPAT® on the bottom of an oven, on a grill or with a broiler.

I think that was Taz. I don't use Silpat for anything. My wife does though but only  with the inside oven (upon which I dare not tread unless absolutely necessary)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    Options
    And I'm in the same boat as cen-tex.
    Those are hers.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!