Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide/BGE Combo Cook

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK- My nephew showed up tonight for a few pops and to get fed (smart boy) so tonight I'm doing Three 2" thick CAB Ribeyes in the Sous Vide and will finish with a hard sear on the egg. Should be good. I'll post pics.

With Sous Vide, you cook under vacuum in "food saver" bags until at your desired temp then hard sear to finish. Pretty cool way to cook. You can leave a steak in for 6-8 hours and it never over cooks (the water temp is precise and holds foods at their ready temp for many hours without over cooking). Then you add flavor by (in tonight's case) seasoning and hard searing on the egg. 

Keep you posted.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Looking forward to seeing this.
    I've looked at some DIY temp controller to do this.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Looking forward to seeing this. I've looked at some DIY temp controller to do this.
    For those of us not into the heavy cooking acoutrements you can search "hot-tubbing" and achieve approximately the same end-results.  Now if you have a real hot tub/spa you may be able to get quite close to the real thing.  But all that "out-of-BGE" time detracts from the basic cave-man and fire connection :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I googled "hot tubbing" and something completely different showed up :).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    I shoulda mentioned using the search function here-and yes I'm sure you were transported to Marin County California...sorry 'bout that; hope you enjoed the results!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Well....Turned out pretty decent. None was returned and the Mrs' twice baked potatoes were the perfect compliment.  The egg was 750+ and I put them on a cast iron fajita plate for 45 sec per side. Cool thing about the dual cook is that the SV cooks the steak perfectly throughout (135 in this case) and the egg adds all the flavor in under 2 minutes. 

Pic 1- just out of the sous vide (see how they are Med Rare throughout with no crust or searing)
    Pic 2- Fresh off the egg with a hard sear on the outside
    Pic3- MMMMMMMM. Gooey insides and crusty outsides thanks to 750+ BGE. 

• I shoulda mentioned using the search function here-and yes I'm sure you were transported to Marin County California...sorry 'bout that; hope you enjoed the results!  Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    ah yes. that would have been good advice cap'n.

have a great night. Always fun catching up.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2012
    Hot tubbing.  You can do it with a zip-lock bag and tap water which is usually around 115 degrees.  Stike is the one that turned me onto it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Nice results, really makes me want to but an SV, used one as a chef but prices back then were way too much for the home. Have you tried boiling an egg yet, the results are out of this world, try the egg on top of Egg grilled asparagus with some Parmesan cheese flakes on top
  • tazcrash
    OK, I shouldnt be on this site before breakfast.
    Boy does that steak look great.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    OK, I shouldnt be on this site before breakfast.
    Boy does that steak look great.
    +1 My stomach is growling
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    What would be the minimum times in the SV ??
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Hey, prices have come down since I first lusted for a SV.  It used to be $500.  Now, the same model is $399.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Try short ribs, just S & P,  SV for 72 hr @ 132. Sear 2 min.

My cheap SV. Old crockpot, $20. PID controller, $140. A little slower, because there isn't any circulation. Only accurate to 2 degrees +/-.
  • tazcrash
    @squeeze: I don't have one, but my understanding is you CAN'T (if set right) overcook it because the temp is constant, and kept below the done point.
    Cen-tex, or anyone with one, Plz correct me if I'm wrong.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    @tazcrash Yes you are correct you can't overlook as temperature remains constant, there are some articles with 5 day cooking times on the web.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    What would be the minimum times in the SV ??
    There are several tables for estimating SV cooking times. Here's a link to some ball park figures:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.2
  • The Douglas balwin site is "The Naked Whiz" of Sous Vide sites (although The Whiz is king in my book). Lots of science dropped on that site. Good stuff but there is just not that much to it. Set the temp, leave it for an hour or a day then finish however you want. Chicken breast is other worldly on a SV. It's a fun little toy for the kitchen.
  • @JEC- yes, eggs are one of the really cool things with a SV. you can patuerize eggs to the point that they are still runny but 100% safe. They pour out of the shell like a custard. Amazing.
  • My non griller, non cook brother-in-law, came to visit one weekend and said he wanted to do dinner. He ain't no cook and he knows I love to entertain with my BGE.

He brought four PRIME rib-eyes. Asked me to get the grill very hot and stay out of the kitchen. I reluctantly did that. He put the "food saved" steaks (raise the steaks in with the meat) in a 130 degree water bath for about an hour. He did this on the stove top. Then he cut them out of the bags and placed them on the hot grill top for about one minute a side.

I was VERY sceptical!!!

OMG!!!

I thought I was at Morton's or the Palm.

This was the best home cooked steak I'd ever had.

I've done it a couple times with choice and it was very good. I've read about as much as you could read on the subject. It's the real deal. I want to do a chuck roast and finish it on the BGE.

I haven't messed with it in a long time, but will do it again someday.

Brother-in-law is still not a cook though.