Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which egg to get for a person alone, moving around w/handler?

VA in GA
VA in GA Posts: 54
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,      Frankly, I'm having trouble deciding which will be the easiest for me if alone to wheel around from short distance to another even using the handler. A 145 pound egg on nest with handler or a 95 pound egg?  It may not matter but at 5' 2 I don't want to not be able to move my egg alone!  Any replies?     Have a great egg day,   Virginia

Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    My 115 pound wife easily carries our Mini around from one table to another in our patio area.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    I have a medium with a handler and its very maneuverable.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Look at the Mini unless you are feeding a lot of people a lot.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    With the handler even the large egg is easy for one person to move.

Gerhard
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Even if I were just cooking for me I would have problems with my preferred mix of veggies and meat on anything smaller than the large if it were a single Egg.  Two Eggs are very nice to cook at different temps.  I could see ssingle person doing well with a medium and a small.  Veggies on the medium and meat on the small.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SY26
    SY26 Posts: 6
    I am on my own and I have a large which I move frequently on my own. Anything smaller would make it challenging to cook briskets, butts and ribs. it would also make it difficult to entertain. I would definitely recommend a large.
    Large BGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I couldn't have seen myself satisfied with anything smaller than the large. Even if it's just you 80% of time your going to want to smoke things more often now and I hope you have some friends to share steak and chicken with :)

Big seller for me was not being able to do enough steaks or burgers at once on the medium if my parents and sister came over

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Oh forgot to add, my buddy has a large with nest and handler and moves it all over the place alone

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    My two cents again.  Since budget was not introduced into this, I will say that a lot of folks don't understand the usefulness of the XL.  It moves around just fine, unless you have some reason to pick it up.  The large cooking area is very useful, and you don't have to burn a ton of lump in it.  Between my L and my XL the bigger one is far more versatile. I can load lump on one side to direct cook meat, and cook veggies on the other side indirect.  Everything is easier to move around.  If I want to cook for company, I can do a boat load of wings, or big chickens or turkeys.  Now having said that,  I recently did 8 ribeyes on my L.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    In your handler post you were deciding between a medium and large. Go with the large. The handler makes it easier/safer to move around as long as you pull it slowly. The cooking area is more than enough for one and plenty big enough for entertaining friends and family. A 3 tiered or swing grid will increase that space. I'm seeing a large in your future...

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Best answer:  go look at them and pick the biggest you can afford, then figure out when you can afford to add the handler (I have an xl and a large still on the nest and can move them easily but slowly)...

you will find lots of new friends and some old ones will show up more often...you can always cook small amounts on any egg... good luck and enjoy

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    biggest you can afford  move my large around myself, just bought a pot lifter strap and pretty sure I could lift it up and into a truck now myself if I had to. Cooking space, height and width sold me on the large.
  • VA in GA

Best answer:  go look at them and pick the biggest you can afford, then figure out when you can afford to add the handler (I have an xl and a large still on the nest and can move them easily but slowly)...

you will find lots of new friends and some old ones will show up more often...you can always cook small amounts on any egg... good luck and enjoy

Well,  I'm back again and I got my BGE in size medium!  YES, I know this will shock you all but truly giving it much thought and my situation in living space since down sizing, I feel this was the best choice for me alone.  I'll be making another move in a few years and who knows how much patio space I may end up with!  :-(     One thing for sure when deciding on the move it will have to have a place to fit my BGE in cause I'm not giving it up again!  LOL    Got the egg last Tuesday, waiting to get help to put it together yet!  I'll let you know whne I get cooking..  Virginia In MI.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Congratulations on your decision. I've found the videos on the BGE website more helpful than the instructions provided in the packaging when assembling my eggs.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• VA in GA
    Gabriegger,   Thank you for your help, I always appreciate learning.  :-)    I too have watch a few videos, the one that came with the egg is very helpful indeed.   Did my first cook today, chicken, potatoes and carrots all was so delicious! The good ole' bbq days are back. Sorry didn't take pictures of the food, the rain started here just as I was about to start cooking and was 42 degrees out, go figure!  Still a super fun cookout for me.  VA in MI  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

Virginia In MI.

Are you in Georgia, or Michigan?  
    I'm single and originally bought a Large, wanted to be able to do two briskets for office parties (which have become a high-demand item).  Eventually bought a Small as a companion, originally wished I'd gotten a Mini but wok cooking on a Small works Great, so I'm happy with what I have.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• VA in GA
    Thank you for your info, I'm sure already that I will be getting a companion!   ;-)    Back in 2004 when I purchased my first large BGE I lived in GA. before I moved to MI. I sold the large BGE!  :(   I joined the forum in GA. originally with "VA in GA"  Now I've moved back to MI in Feb. 2008, just purchased my second BGE, April 2012 rejoined the forum and it wouldn't let me change my screen name here. So, I'm going to keep eggheads guessing on where I'm at.  Many things have changed over those few years with the BGE, all for the better and I'm really having fun again egging.  So far, only one cook out but I'm already thinking the medium is great for 1-2 people but when some of my family come, I'll be in trouble! lol  
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I just picked my xl up and moved it into my truck for a drive to the lake. Brisket is going just fine.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thank you for your info, I'm sure already that I will be getting a companion!   ;-)    Back in 2004 when I purchased my first large BGE I lived in GA. before I moved to MI. I sold the large BGE!  :(   I joined the forum in GA. originally with "VA in GA"  Now I've moved back to MI in Feb. 2008, just purchased my second BGE, April 2012 rejoined the forum and it wouldn't let me change my screen name here. So, I'm going to keep eggheads guessing on where I'm at.  Many things have changed over those few years with the BGE, all for the better and I'm really having fun again egging.  So far, only one cook out but I'm already thinking the medium is great for 1-2 people but when some of my family come, I'll be in trouble! lol  
    LOL! I too found out I couldn't change my screen name and I am now Hungry in Oxford. Oh well, just means bill collectors can't find me either!

• Due to health concerns I almost bought a condo in Panama City Beach florida and moved there. Was ready to sign a purchase contract. On my way to RE office my wife asked me what I wanted for supper. I told her that if we were home I would egg some steaks. She asked me what I would do about my egg when we moved to condo. I told her egg would go on the new huge balcony. She said open flame was not allowed at condo. Turned around, went home. Looking for a house in Panama City Beach Florida. They can have my egg when they pry my tongs out of my cold dead fingers!