Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get temp down - Help!

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Egg Heads,

I have a BGEXL.

Just put two beautiful pork butts on the Egg.  Trouble is that I have it completely choked right now and can't get it to come down from 350 dome, grill 300ish.

Do I just wait it out?  I don't want it to go out, but I need to get the temp down.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ice

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    As far as I know, there is nothing you can do.  How about taking the meat back off until you get control of the temp?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Flamethrower
    Options

Let it cook,Keep an eye on the temp.

LET'S EAT
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It will come down whether you have the vents closed or not. Open the lower damper to the width of a credit card and the daisy barely open. Carry on as has been said. Pork butt is forgiving

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I agree. You can quickly open the dome every 5 min to let all the hot air trapped in the dome out if you want to bring it down quicker. CAREFUL FOR FLASHBACK THOUGH!!!!!!!!. If you are not comfortable with what flashback is, just let it come down naturally. Once it gets close to your target, make MINOR adjustments to the daisy to dial it in. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Leave the meat on and wait.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You cannot get a flashback when the temp is that low. That's silly.

Butts cook fine at that temp. Leave it.
    You certainly can when you choke a hot fire and throw the lid open. I blew the freaking ceramic lid off of mine and it knocked me on my arse after choking it down about 6 years ago. worst one i've ever had. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Sounds like I'm too late and I understand your pork's in but, If I over shoot my mark while preheating (by a huge amount) and I have the plate setter in I will remove it and put it down on the concrete to cool. Then I will close dome, bottom vent and put rain stopper on top. Keep a close eye on it and when it's close (within 25*) to target add the plate setter and the daisy wheel and readjust vents for required temp. Works for me.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    What Stike said. Even tho I'm pretty late. Temp will drop. 350 on a butt to start us no biggie. I know people who cook theirs at 350. get it to 300 atleast and your good.
    Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.