Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Low and Slow 4-14-12

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Some of you guys held my hand for my first pork low and slow, and the infamous stall.  I have owed you a coherent set of pictures.

This took 11 hours on the Large, and was rock steady at 220.  It stalled for several hours at 151, and at 160 I powered through.  The smoke was hickory.

Binder was Dichickos garlic, and the rub was something my daughter made to do blackened fish.  It was delicious, and we will do a bigger one (or the spouse is talking about mulitples) next time based on how quickly it disappeared.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Darn it, posted before I was done.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Nice doc. Looks awesome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Thank you for the hand holding.  I almost feel like I know what I'm doing.

• You'll be giving lessons in no time.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I don't know about lessons, but I will be very happy to share what I've done.  This went over so well that I will be doing another one or more very soon.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    So how long did you wrap it in foil for? What is the main purpose of the foil? I ask because I did not foil my first shoulder.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Something less than an hour to power through the stall and get to the finish temp.  No need to do that unless you are trying to finish off quicker.

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    This is how I like to explain it to my friends.  First cook- scared, timid, nervous, impatient.  You are just a wreck.
    Second cook- you are a little more sure of yourself, but there is one thing that still bugs you and makes you nervous.  You are still impatient but not as much
    Third cook- BAM!!!!! you feel as tho you are a professional and you could hang with anyone cooking pulled pork.  
    When I cooked shoulders early on, it was a big deal to me.  I would set up chairs and get waaaaaaay to much beer and make it an event.  Granted, i had an offset that needed tending every hour.  Now, I throw on 40-60 lbs of shoulder and do chores or run errands.  Thanks to the EGG I dont get to drink as much beer, and my wife knows this.

In closing.  pork wil be your friend, dont be nervous.  get ya two or three cooks and you will have plenty of confidence.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Very good looking cook Doc. Pulled pork is one of my favorite cooks. It also freezes and reheats well. I always cook more than we need and then vacuum seal it in meal size packs. Then to reheat just drop the whole vacuum pack in boiling water and it comes out like it just came off the Egg.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Great looking cook.Will be doing  a multiple in a few weeks, if you do yours before then give all the details. I am a little nervous at doing 2-4 butts/shoulders at once but am planning on giving it a try......Doc , you go first!
  • seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27

Binder was Dichickos garlic, and the rub was something my daughter made to do blackened fish.  

This seems rather unique. Care to share the recipe? 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    DOCED we're doing a two or three smoke tomorrow, I will report.

seanwilly, I don't really know what the rub is, just a generic blackening rub off the internet.  You can google Dichickos and find their sauces.  I am a proponent of them, but apperantly there are lots of choices :-)  The recent discussion of whether mustard as the binder affect flavor lead me to try my version, and it was very tasty.  The pic is of a straight pork loin roast, marinated in D's garlic (our favorite) and it always turns out delicious.