Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker ?

GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,358
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi
This is my first post. I have had a large BGE for a year now and really love it. I have found a lot of useful advice on this forum!
I would like to get some kind of auto temp controller and I'm looking for suggestions. I kind of like the looks of the stoker since you can use a couple of probes and monitor on your computer. I have searched here, I see there are some upgrades to the product as well. Any input or recommendations would be really appreciated!
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I love my Stoker, although I don't use it very often.  I got the original (non wi-fi) model, but created a bridge to my Mac using Airport Extreme.  With the Stokerlog program, I can, not only monitor, but control the temperature of my Egg during a cook and have a real time graph created.

I have cooked briskets for over 21 hours, and the Stoker has kept the temperature to within 1 degree of the desired temperature.  I can't compare it to the other controllers, like the DigiQ, because I don't own them, but the Stoker completely meets my requirements.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I love my Stoker also. I have the wi-fi version but am using an access point. I also like I can have Excel get data and plot into a spreadsheet.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Honestly, you aren't going to use it as much as you think. I compete on 2 eggs, ones controlled with a ique-110 and the other i just run using the vents, they both hold rock steady at whatever temp I set them at.   The IQUE 110 runs about 150 shipped, works flawlessly, just doesn't have a meat probe.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

If you're a type a person, you need this.  Even though I know the egg will hold pretty steady without it, I will constantly check, adjust (trying to make it perfect) and eff it up.  The brand really doesn't matter, they all work, just depends what you want/need.  I'd seriously consider the battery powered Digi if I was buying today... it seems like the wifi stoker got a healthy price boost.

I use every time, I cook below 400, so all chicken and slow cooks.  This summer I'm planning to running power under ground out to my egg location so I can do away with an extension cord from the garage. 

• I couldn't justify shelling out $3-400 to maintain temps in my egg,  at the same time I didn't want to worry about temps during low and slows.  Of the 30+ low and slows I did,  I had the egg go out on me twice.  I got an Auber Instruments controller for a little over $100 and love the thing.  Does just what it is supposed too, maintain temps.  It would be cool to make graphs and stuff and I guess it would be useful to change temps remotely (never really had the need personally), but I think the likes of PartyQ and Auber are sufficient. A couple 100 bucks can buy a lot of meat! :)

• GlennM
    Thanks for the comments. I ordered the Auber. I'm sure it will suit my needs just fine.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Awesome, I had no idea about the Auber or IQUE 110, and I was under the impression stokers were $300-400 also. I had not started research and this helps me a lot. I can't justify $400, but $150 isnt so bad.
  • GlennM
    Yup, looks like the right price range for me. In combination with a Maverick thermometer it should do what I want it to do. I like to put something on the egg, get it stabilised and then forget about it for a while. A couple of times I would leave for an hour or so and the temp would be a bit on the high side when I came back. This should take the worry out of leaving!
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I can't speak for the auber, but the ique has been within 10 degrees of my maverick regardless of set point.
  • GlennM
    You mean they are not calibrated the same?