Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick is dead...

Options
jay75
jay75 Posts: 153
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, I am a little disappointed as I have only had my 732 since the beginning of Feb and when I went to fire up the egg and use the mav to keep track of the temp I found the transmitter wouldn't switch on, tried new batteries but no joy. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Well, you better go tell Goose.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Lololol.
    that's not his the movie went!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • jay75
    Options
    Goose is too busy makin out with Iceman...
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options

I bought my 732 off Amazon about the same time and it appears now to have messed the bed.  Pit probe has always shown climbing temps during low & slow though they are in fact stable and now last night it started dropping the link between trans/receiver even at close distance.   I too changed out the batteries but the problem persists. 

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Hmmmmm. I was thinking about getting one from Amazon. Wonder what the problem is?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I would try another couple of batteries just to be sure. Also I can't remember which one, but you do know you have to hold the power button down for a bit right? Just asking.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

There's a MIG on my tail...

Cookin in Texas
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Try using just one of the probes at a time just to see if one the probes has gone south on you.

Gerhard
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my first rib cook...my dome temp says 325 and the Maveric says 235....I'm worried I'm messing up my ribs with this thing. Not sure what's going on? Looks like I might be in the same boat?

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my first rib cook...my dome temp says 325 and the Maveric says 235....I'm worried I'm messing up my ribs with this thing. Not sure what's going on? Looks like I might be in the same boat?

Pull the dome thermometer out really quickly and test in boiling water for accuracy. Around 212. That is an awfully large variance.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    "I'm going to hit the brakes, he'll fly right by"
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • eggnited
    Options
    Oddly enough the dome temp is still 325 but the Maveric is at 246. Great idea...I'll pull it here shortly and report back.  Duh! Thanks!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I just ordered a 732 should be here tomorrow, sounds as if that might have been a big mistake. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    How often are you opening the lid?

Gerhard
  • eggnited
    Options
    At boiling my dome thermometer reads 225. So...it reads high. I guess my actual dome temp would be about 312 compared to the Maveric at 246. I think I will shoot for dome temp of 300 to finish the cook. Thanks again!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Permission for fly by"
    "permission denied"

Nice take Trav. Busted out on that one.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Talk to me Goose!!!!
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I have been having very similar problems, it worked great the first two times I used it for low and slow and now is worthless.  Does not come close to keeping accurate dome temp.  
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    I was "inverted"
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    I've had mine for almost a year with probably 30 - 35 cooks on the Mav with no problems.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    Gutted for you but not uncommon on the 732 I've heard, seems the old model is more reliable if a little limited on range
  • jay75
    Options
    I have been completely happy with the 732 right up to last night, I've tried at least 3 sets of new batteries and absolutely nothing happens when I push the on button, I think it should still be under warranty, so I will have to see what the guys at the shop where I got it want to do...
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    If people are having Mavericks die, I am sympathetic...

I don't mean to come across like a vulture, but I am experimenting with an Arduino DYI temp control and would love to acquire some Maverick probes. My goal is to be able to share plans that would allow someone with minimal skill to create a product similar to the Stoker for ~$60.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Dang, my Maverick kept dropping the link this weekend too!!!  I even changed out the batteries in both the receiver as well as the transmitter... (I have the older model, however - I think it's the 730, though I'm not sure - it's black - anyway, I just chalked it up to it being old & even put the bug in my GF's ear that I "needed" to get a new one) :D

But nowwww - the paranoid side of me is now wondering if it's some sort of conspiracy from Maverick for all our probes to fail all at once???  Planned obsolescence, perhaps????  Or maybe it's the solar flare activity?  Orrrrrr, maybe it's the GUBMENT???  :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    I want some pork butts!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
     My goal is to be able to share plans that would allow someone with minimal skill to create a product similar to the Stoker for ~$60.
    Interesting.  Tell us more...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I want some pork butts!!!

That was perfect!!

That'll just about do it for the fly by's....

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • tazcrash
    Options
    I feel the need.......the need for.....turbo Butts! (get it? It's fast! )
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    I don't mean to come across like a vulture, but I am experimenting with an Arduino DYI temp control and would love to acquire some Maverick probes. My goal is to be able to share plans that would allow someone with minimal skill to create a product similar to the Stoker for ~$60.
    Rich, I can't wait to see an Arduino temp controller (thought of it, but no time to play\learn), but wouldn't the board cost about that much? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!