Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What 2 Egg combo would you choose?

hartofatiger
hartofatiger Posts: 204
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking on a Large for many years. I want a double egg combo and looking for advice on what size egg to add. I was thinking a Lg/XL combo would be nice. Anyone have any comments? Thanks.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Man,

I have eight eggs but if I had to have two it would be large + large. Throw in a mini and life is good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bbmclain
    bbmclain Posts: 6
    I am leaning towards a large/large......
  • I think it depends entirely what your needs are.  I have a large and think a large/medium setup would be perfect.. thats just me
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    XL and L work well for me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I have a large/small combo just because I found the small unused for 200 bucks with nest. I think two larges would be great and all the accessories would interchange if needed.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    I have an XL and think I'll be buying a large to go with it... possible a medium if I find the right deal...
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have a large Small and mini.  There are just the two of us and that combination meets our needs.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Large/Large/small.
  • Have a medium, adding an XL at the next eggfest I can get to.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    I have an XL and in the last month added a medium from CL. The medium is perfect for 90 percent of my cooks for the family and the XL is great for parties. For me it's the perfect combination.  
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I have a large, medium, and mini.

If I just had two, Large and Mini.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited April 2012
    I have a two large combo.  Main reasoning was to eliminate buying accessories for the second, but I went weak and bought another plate setter.  Now one smokes, the other grills.  Both smoke, both grill.
    Stop the madness!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    edited April 2012
    There's just two of us, I have the Large Small combo, just added the mini last week. I do 80% of my cooks on the small, its perfect for the two of us. P.S. I've just used the mini for one cook, I could probably get addicted to it, its going to give the small a run for its money.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    XL and a large or maybe 2 XL's?!
  • Thanks for the input.  I usually find myself wanting more space for direct grilling, hosting Sunday lunch.  Guess I'll think about it for another month or so, then have to make a decision.  Looking to build a brick "nest" attached to outdoor kitchen.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

One thing that is overlooked on an XL is that you do not have to fill it completely.  You have a large cook surface to work with, which is convienient.

My most frequent cooks are meat on the L, and veggies in a perforated wok on the XL.  I fill less than half the box on the XL, in the back using Angl-Z from the Ceramic Grill Store.  This lets me cook roasted veggies on and off direct at a lower temperature, while I cook the meat on the L.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Large/Large all the way. The eggsessories will be interchangeable, and you'll never run out of grid space.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have a large and will be adding a small in the near future. In my opinion, the small is big enough to cook most things and still small enough to travel with. Only downside is buying more accessories.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Ive got a large, and the XL is 100% my next grill. I want a mini just to show off and leave inside on my kitchen counter, or for those nights where I want a porterhouse and the lady would like chicken.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sold the Small and was going to add another Large. Ended up with One Large and two Minis. This setup just works for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Ive got a large, and the XL is 100% my next grill. I want a mini just to show off and leave inside on my kitchen counter, or for those nights where I want a porterhouse and the lady would like chicken.
    I have seen several who  put Minis in the fireplace and cook inside, but never on the kitchen counter. Are you sure you want to do that?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I like the Small, Large, and XL.  Each grill has ~2x (more/less) grid area than the grill next to it.  Start with any 2 of them, and add the 3rd later.
  • xraypat23
    id never use it in the house, just know it'd look good on the counter

• Mickey
    I always thought a Mini would be a good place in the house to keep me and a couple of the dogs when the day comes :-t

• Little Steven
    You would wanna make sure that someone trustworthy glues it shut after they pour you in there buddy. There is a mini ash tool just so you know :-O

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Thinking about adding a small to go along with the large. I want to be able to transport it. Those of you with a large/large, or large/ medium, are they stationary?? How easy is it to move a medium or large around. Say to go camping etc.?? Large seems to heavy to move around. Medium might be a little to heavy too, anyone out there move their eggs off the patio?? I think a mini would be to small to do a pork butt or 2 burger or steaks at a time. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • xraypat23
    now you've got me thinking about a double large combo. I've already got all the internals for a second large.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    You would wanna make sure that someone trustworthy glues it shut after they pour you in there buddy. There is a mini ash tool just so you know :-O
    =))
  • Little Steven
    Thinking about adding a small to go along with the large. I want to be able to transport it. Those of you with a large/large, or large/ medium, are they stationary?? How easy is it to move a medium or large around. Say to go camping etc.?? Large seems to heavy to move around. Medium might be a little to heavy too, anyone out there move their eggs off the patio?? I think a mini would be to small to do a pork butt or 2 burger or steaks at a time. 
    You can get three good sized burgers, 1 to 2 steaks, a spatchcock chicken or a couple of pork tenderloins on a mini

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    small is easy to move around. i take it tailgating and camping.  have even taken the large camping too
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante