Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting The Fire - In One Place or Several?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg now for about 4 months. I bought an electric starter and I put it in the middle of the coals when I light it. I notice that it doesn't spread as much to the outside for even direct cooking. Do you guys light it in several places for a more uniform burn for direct cooks? Thanks for the input.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I use a electric starter also.  After 8 minutes, I pull it out and gently mix the lit with the unlit lump.  Works well for direct high heat as well as low and slows.  Just a matter of bringing it up to the right temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Just to change it up-for low&slows I only light bottom around dead center with either about one-half starter cube or the oil soaked napkin.  If I'm looking to get to high temps then I will light around the two and eight o'clock positions,  sit back and enjoy the show. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.