Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

walmart lump sale.

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Crusining through Walmart today and they had Royal Oak, 10 lb bag of lump on for $6.88 per bag. That is a great deal for our area. Grabbed 7 bags and I am thinking that another trip is due tomorrow. Not sure if Walmart all over the country does the same sale, ( you'd think they would) If your a Royal Oak lump fan, check it out.
Cheers.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• I will drop by tomorrow morning. Thanks for the heads up. :)
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    That is the every day price for lump at my Wal Mart. The bags are 8.8 lbs though.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    It's always been $6.37 at my (Houston) WalMart.  Of course, now the bags are 8.8 #.  I just bought a 35 pound bag of lump at Costco for $14.99.  Haven't used it yet, but the price is great.  I hadn't seen lump at Costco before now.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I use Best Choice lump from IGA.  $6.59 for 10lbs.  RO makes it.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    In Astoria Queens yesterday they had 17.something RO for $10.  Greek Easter, but a great price.  Royal Oak was everywhere.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    My super WM where I live doesn't sell Royal Oak but I was shopping a grocery store yesterday and they had 17.6 lb bags for $9.99 so I grabbed one as you guys seem to like and the price is certainly right. Can't wait to try it. I'm almost at the bottom of my bag of Humphrey's. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • smokesniffer
    I am going to break open a bag today and will look if I get any other goodies besides lump in the bag. Canadian Tire has RO as well. This Wal Mart sale really dropped the per pound price that I would normally have to pay. Going to stock up.
    Have a great weekend everyone
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I bought a few bags of this from Walmart about a month back and I've found some pieces of insulation and nails.  My guess is that RO is getting some of their material from construction and demolition projects.  C&D recycling is big these days, but I'm not sure I want them using it for charcoal.  I did find some odd shapes in Cowboy, but the construction material worries me.  It also makes me think that we're probably getting some pine and how can I be sure there's no treated wood in there too.  I was going to contact RO, but you can only mail them a letter.  Maybe I'll just stick to Cowboy.  Too bad because the price is right.  
    You can get 100% hardwood or mesquite lump for half that price at Sam's or Costco. I buy 40lb bags of 100% mesquite for $14.99 and the quality is awesome. I know not all the Sam's and Costco's carry them but it's worth a look. 2 bags would pay for your membership (then you get to buy cheap meat to cook with all that charcoal and cheap beer to drink with the cheap meat- they are sneaky like that). It's good stuff so try to find it if you can. I would even ask your local club to order it for you.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Restaurant Depot (nashville) has 18# bags of USA Royal Oak for under $10. That seems to be the best deal AND quality I've found.
  • Restaurant Depot (nashville) has 18# bags of USA Royal Oak for under $10. That seems to be the best deal AND quality I've found.
    good call on restaurant supply houses! This one is food service as well. It's is Sysco's house brand. The Costco one is very good too. I've used both and no complaints here. Love the restaurant supply idea. 

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Costco in canada has Basque Natures own for $11.99 for 8KG and its made from 100% natural maple! 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • smokesniffer
    Hey Shawn you on the East Coast or West? Just stocked up from Walmart. bought 140 lbs. So that should last me a while, but will look at Costco too. Here on the West Coast, every store only carry's it Seasonally. So I need to have a bit of a nest egg to get me through the winter. How does that compare to the Royal Oak lump??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Eggbertsdad
    Restaurant Depot (nashville) has 18# bags of USA Royal Oak for under $10. That seems to be the best deal AND quality I've found.
    Great idea about the restaurant depot stores. I went back in my Super WM yesterday and they had the 8.8 lb bags of RO for $6.47. It must be seasonal for them. I found the 17.6 lb bags for $9.99. If I like it, I'll stock up.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Restaurant Depot (nashville) has 18# bags of USA Royal Oak for under $10. That seems to be the best deal AND quality I've found.
    JoeJoeShooter - Do you have to be a member to get into Restaurant Depot and if so what are the requirements?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• It's always been $6.37 at my (Houston) WalMart.  Of course, now the bags are 8.8 #.  I just bought a 35 pound bag of lump at Costco for $14.99.  Haven't used it yet, but the price is great.  I hadn't seen lump at Costco before now.
    I guess after selling the BGE at Costco this spring, they decided to start carrying the fuel.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • My local Dollar General has Frontier lump.  I looks like a log truck caught fire and they put the logs in there they are so large.  The only problem is they are around 6 lb bags for $5!  I started mixing it with RO.
  • You don't have to have a paid membership.

But you do have to have a re-sale certificate, a business license or a non-profit. I have a biz but I use the Membership from our church.
  • YukonBill
    YukonBill Posts: 23
    +1 for the restaurant supply store. Up here in Seattle you can get a 40lb bag of Lazzeri mesquite for $14. It's been great stuff do far but I'm a bit concerned that it will burn long enough for a overnight cook.
  • It will burn plenty long. All I use is 100% mesquite lump. Can burn For days on low and slow.
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    I bought a few bags of this from Walmart about a month back and I've found some pieces of insulation and nails.  My guess is that RO is getting some of their material from construction and demolition projects.  C&D recycling is big these days, but I'm not sure I want them using it for charcoal.  I did find some odd shapes in Cowboy, but the construction material worries me.  It also makes me think that we're probably getting some pine and how can I be sure there's no treated wood in there too.  I was going to contact RO, but you can only mail them a letter.  Maybe I'll just stick to Cowboy.  Too bad because the price is right.  

Here is the address and phone number of Royal Oak if you want to drop them a line:

1 Royal Oak Ave
    Roswell, GA 30076-7583
     (map)

(678) 461-3200

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Lowe's Food carries a brand called Full Circle.  It gets very good reviews in the lump blogs and I have found it for $5.99 for  8.8lb bag.  I used it on a spatch chicken and it was right up there with RO.  Lately the RO I have purchased at Wally-World has been very inconsistent.  Big temp swings from high to low and the burn time has fallen off. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Jmille15
    Jmille15 Posts: 8
    Being new to egging, I bought a bag of BGE lump when I picked up my egg. Surprised to find insulation and several chunks of bark in the bag. Anyone else experiencing this with BGE? Sounds like I need to look at some of the other brands based on what I am reading here.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

$6.88 is the normal here. My wife accused me of a hoarder today when she saw 20 bags in the garage. I convinced her that there is a shortage on lump (This Forum told me so. WINK WINK).

I also haveanother 40 pounds of BGE Lump and Central Market Lump. I hope I make it through the Apocalypse.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I just bought a #20 bag of Cowboy lump at my local Ace for $12 and all the lump around me seems to be right in that ball park. 

I have yet to try it but I hope I like it.
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    My Walmart finally stocked it. Picked up 4 bags at 6.47.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Maybe a stupid question, but do you guys think there is correlation between the size of the bag (8.8, 10, 17.6, 20, & 40 lb bags) to the size of the pieces? I bought a 40 lb bag of Humphreys and there were logs in there. My 17.6 lb bag of RO has some big pieces as well. I can't imagine they could get very many of the bigger pieces in the smaller bags.