Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burn Out

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did it for the first time a couple of days ago.  I had finished a slow smoke, and the Egg and the plate setter were just getting nasty.  Well, it really works, things are nice and clean and white now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Yes, amazing isn't it.  I'm due for a burn also.  My plate setter is ugly.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I did mine a few days ago. My wife accused me of buying a new plate setter. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    just open everything up and wait?  Assume I should pull the thermometer just to be safe?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I got it up to about 800 then regulated down to 700 for at least an hour, then shut down and let it cool.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    I let it rip as hot as I can get it. It wrapped around to 300 last time. 

Your gasket wont make it but, your thermometer should be fine. 

Normally I hook my shop vac to the bottom vent until the egg gets up to a good hot temp. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Ha, doing the LG tonight since I got it really going for the wok.  Wrapped around to 200 before shutting down.

• huh? do tell. I've not done this before and my stuff is nasty inside. What's the skinny?????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    Fire the egg up as hot as possible and after an hour or two, it's clean like new. That's all there is to it.
  • OK. My plate setter is black as coal and has been for 6 years. Are you saying this just carbonizes all the crud? I do that already but I haven't had white insides to my egg in years.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Did it for the first time a couple of days ago.  I had finished a slow smoke, and the Egg and the plate setter were just getting nasty.  Well, it really works, things are nice and clean and white now.

Do you still have a gasket?  First time I did one, the gasket was toast and some of the original adhesive had melted, run down into the egg and burned up.  Last time I did a short high temp clean-out, my brand new Tel-Tru needed to be recalibrated afterwards.  I still need to have a closer look at it to see if it's "working".
  • Doc_Eggerton
    My gasket was toast long before I ever did a really hi temp burn.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Observation; the burn out on the XL got the desired results of clean metal and white ceramic.  I have done it twice now on the L and the Woo and grid get nice and clean, but the fire box is still sooty black.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    It's the same concept as ovens with a cleaning setting.  The oven locks it's doors and heats to a high level for several hours.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Any before and after pics?
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    If you have a rutland gasket it will wistand the heat!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Doc_Eggerton
    I really need to do a burn out on my L.  It work great to the XL, and it is still much cleaner than is was many cooks later.  I did it on the XL with the Woo and grid in, because they were greasy, but it occurs to me that I should not be spiking them as high as I went (although I've done that a couple time by accident on both).

So does everyone leave the hardware in the BGEs when burning out?

• I did one earlier this week. pretty much fried my gasket so decision time there but my platesetter hasn't looked this clean in years. Did you know those things are actually some type of white color under all that gunk?????

• Doc_Eggerton
    Did it on the L last night after cooking chicken, nice and clean.  Not as dramatic as on the XL, and I kept it at 700 for a long time, the 600 for quite awhile, and burned a whole load of lump.  Once it started dropping from 700 I took the daisy wheel off and left it wide open until all burned up.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Here is a pic of mine after just a semi hot burn from cooking pizza. Woking does a nice job also.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    And here is mine.  Interesting observation; it took the fire ring and box out after some reading hear, and there was a significant amount of ash behind the fire box.

Busy getting it dirty again with a pork shoulder.

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    any methods for cleaning the egg behind the fire ring/box?  What about getting the lid (inside) nice and white again?
  • any methods for cleaning the egg behind the fire ring/box?  What about getting the lid (inside) nice and white again?
    Yep- you have to pull the fire ring and box out to get back there. I do it before any long cook. I just take an old paintbrush and sweep it into the ash pan through the lower vent. It can build up back there and restrict flow. 
  • centex99
    yes, I'm an aggie, but c'mon... I know I can take them out and clean back there... I usually do and just brush it all down with my leather gloves... I meant, can I run the egg without them to get those walls nice and white again!
  • yes, I'm an aggie, but c'mon... I know I can take them out and clean back there... I usually do and just brush it all down with my leather gloves... I meant, can I run the egg without them to get those walls nice and white again!
    I was wondering...................

My bad :)

• yes, I'm an aggie, but c'mon... I know I can take them out and clean back there... I usually do and just brush it all down with my leather gloves... I meant, can I run the egg without them to get those walls nice and white again!
    I was wondering...................

My bad :)

And i didn't even take your Aggie heritage in account when writing that! I was just wondering if nobody told you when you bought it or something like that. Reason would probably tell me you had most likely figured it out by now though. 
  • centex99
    Yep, no beer for you... unless you bring some of those bone in ribeyes... yep.... if you bring them, I'll cook them up for us, fix some awesome sides of your choice and share the beer! :-)
  • Yep, no beer for you... unless you bring some of those bone in ribeyes... yep.... if you bring them, I'll cook them up for us, fix some awesome sides of your choice and share the beer! :-)
    Now we're talking.............