Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two-Level Brisket Cooking: Expert Summons!

Options
acrash
acrash Posts: 17
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

A call to all of the experts out here on Briskets & Two level cooking! Doing 2
briskets tonight, a 10 pound and a 5 pound - have a massive family dinner at my
house tomorrow with guests. Probably 25 people (mix of adults and kids). I have
a extra large egg.

My question is: Should I split the two Briskets on two different levels, or squeeze them
all on to the main level? Going to do low & slow, 250 degree dome temp,
drip pan w/flavorful liquids, briskets have been dry rubbed with Goode Company,
Texas rub for 2 hours. Dry mesquite pieces mixed in with the lump. Planning on a 16 hour
cook.

My dilemma is if I put them all on the main level, some of the brisket would be
susceptible to direct heat at some point when the fire gets towards the outside
of the plate setter. If I put them on two different levels, I only have one
temp gauge. I am not sure what temp to measure: the larger one on the main
grate, or the smaller one on the top?

Help,please! Thanks for all of your advice so far, you have been great - this will
make cook #16 for me in only 6 weeks!

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Do them on one level and wrap the portion of the grate exposed to direct flame with a little aluminum foil.

Dual level, while an awesome concept, may compromise your bark on the lower and overcook on the upper.

Let us know how it goes!

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Probably way too late of a response but if it was me I'd have put the 5 lb on the bottom and the 10 lb on top.  The 10 lb would be at a higher heat but considering the extra size, the extra heat would help offset (some) of the size difference between the two.  If you put the little one on top it'll likely be done way too early (if you start them both at the same time).  In an XL, I'd expect you'd have little to no direct heat if you cooked them on different levels.

Assuming the 10 lb is a packer, it should slope downwards slightly on one side, I try to have that slope away from the brisket below and offset them to reduce the amount of juices dripping onto the bottom one and washing off the rub.

If you cook them on the same level you could put the 5 lb in a few hours after you start the 10 lb if you want them to finish up around the same time.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA