Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice

Options
ja19412
ja19412 Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I have been cooking on my egg for a while, but I had a big screw up tonight. Went inside and forgot that I had the daisy wheel off while I was letting it heat up. When I came back out, I thought my temp gauge was broken because it was showing zero. It really wasn't, it had made its was all the way around to over 700 degrees. I got it down pretty quick. The felt seal doesn't look too burnt, maybe just charred in parts. I can't tell if it is from this mess up or just from normal cooking. How will I tell if it needs replacing and is there anything else I need to look at that I may have messed up. Thanks for your help and lesson learned

Comments

• milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    My seal is pretty charred too, but I have not had any issues with holding temps on long cooks. It might be me, but I haven't noticed any issues at all. There shouldn't be anything else that is messed up.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    edited April 2012
    Options

What I would look for is smoke coming from the gasket area. On the temp gauge, after everything cools down, test it in boiling water. If it is shot, they really are not very expensive to replace.

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    You didn't do anything different than anybody doing a high temp cleaning. All is cool, and check your temp gauge. What burns gaskets out is flashback, and flame licks from pizza, etc... If you see smoke escaping the gasket with a closed lid, then you can start thinking about gasket replacements. But even that is no big deal. Tipping an egg over, and watching it shatter -- that's something to concern about. Not this.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe