Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the Cult

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
After many years of wanting one, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a LBGE a few weeks ago. I bought it in the box and headed home to build my table. I bought the cypress from a lumber yard near Atlanta that specializes in cypress. After a few nights working on the table, the Egg was put together. So, here it is. I'm in love with this thing.

However, after following the instructions to the letter, and cooking low and slow for 5-6 cooks, I tried to crank it up and cook a nice piece of grouper tonight. Result: ruined fish and melted gasket. I've heard this is common, but it's still disappointing a few weeks after dropping almost $1000 on Egg, table and accessories. I've written a contact I've made with BGE customer service and hope they replace the gasket with a high temp gasket. I just bought my ribs for this weekend's cook. I hope I can get the replacement gasket in time. Even though I'm disappointed, I still love my Egg. Pics are attached.  I built the table from scratch, and it really turned out well.  Only $140 in the table total, plus $40 for the caster wheels.  MUCH cheaper and nicer than the $500 table I was considering at the Egg Store.  And it wasn't difficult to build at all.  Besides the gasket issue, I'm proud to be a part of the group.  I've wanted to join you guys for a long time.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dang man. I'm one of those guys that have said to season your gasket and all would be well.  I get good mileage out of mine but I'm starting to fall into the camp that the stock gaskets are crap. Sorry dude but keep your chin up! You have the best cooker on the market and once you get a gasket that works for you, you'll never look back. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to the cult friend. Sorry about the gasket but that is life with the egg. I have three and no gaskets, so you will be fine till your new one gets here. Cook and enjoy it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Let the gasket go, man. I haven't had one for some time now and I have ZERO issues. The hight temp gasket BGE sent me is sitting on my fridge. I suggest trying it without a gasket and only replace if you find it affects your cooks. Or is it effects? Oh hell, who cares.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I am new to this egg thing, but with a few trials and errors you will come out on the other side, wiser and the love affair will continue. Meals do turn out very nice, and family, friends, and neighbours will compliment you. It just takes a little getting used to. Ask lots of questions, there are some very Eggsperienced people here, willing to give you help. The fun is about to begin. Hang in there, it is a learning curve.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Sorry.....the pictures didn't attached properly the first time.  Thanks for the warm welcome.  I look forward to posting all my tasty creations here going forward!
    Athens, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Let the gasket go, man. I haven't had one for some time now and I have ZERO issues. The hight temp gasket BGE sent me is sitting on my fridge. I suggest trying it without a gasket and only replace if you find it affects your cooks. Or is it effects? Oh @#!*% , who cares.
    do you low and slow a lot Travis? I heard (probably from the guy who sells me gaskets) that it's hard to hold low temps w/o gaskets
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I can hold 225 calibrated dome temp for as long as I've ever needed to. 18 hrs was my longest, I think. I do brisket and ribs all the time at 250-300.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Hint: the air moves from the bottom vent UP through the top blow hole. The only thing the gasket less bit does is, let a little more exhaust out. It doesn't nessararily feed the fire more O2. As long as you can limit the O2 to the fire, you should have no problem maintaining the temp of your choice.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    welcome aboard Mayberry!  Look forward to seeing some of your cook pics.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hint: the air moves from the bottom vent UP through the top blow hole. The only thing the gasket less bit does is, let a little more exhaust out. It doesn't nessararily feed the fire more O2. As long as you can limit the O2 to the fire, you should have no problem maintaining the temp of your choice.

Travis, I don't have gaskets either but I am going to put some on when our weather improves. I can control temps without them but I find the lump burns longer after shutting down.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    Welcome Mayberry, You will find enlightenment,entertainment and a ton of great recipes on this forum.I have learned a lot,quickly! Just ordered a Nomex,self adhesive gasket from Hi-Que for the inevitable.Anyone tire this gasket,how does the self adhesive hold up?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Hint: the air moves from the bottom vent UP through the top blow hole."

I was wondering what those things were :)

• Mayberry
    Options
    I contacted customer service today and Duane sent me a new high heat gasket free of charge. So far, they have been great at service, both before and after the purchase. Went by the local Egg store today and he guy at the store in Athens, GA gave me a gasket for free and just asked that I bring the one for BGE back to him next week. I installed the new gasket tonight. So,it looks like I'm back to low and slow for a few cooks to season the new gasket. I hope this one makes it!
    Athens, GA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I have what's probably a stupid carpentry question...but I see that your table top/shelves appear to be attached to the legs using large bolts (and presumably nuts on the inside).  When drilling the holes for the bolts, how do you keep everything aligned so the table is "square" and the holes in the legs line up properly with the shelves?  Was each level built (minus the "decking") and then attached to the legs? 
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I framed each side individually, like a house, and then put it together. Once it's free standing, you can do the bracing for the shelves while it's standing on its own. I just used a tape measure and a t-square and consistently checked to make sure it was in line as I went. I think it turned out well, and it took a few nights work and a lot less money than a table you can buy. Since the picture was taken, I've put hangers on the side for grill tools and a beer bottle opener on the front, with a magnet mounted to one of the egg feet to catch the dropping bottle caps. Tomorrow is rib day!
    Athens, GA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome Mayberry, this place is addictive. I look foward to seeing and hearing of your cooks.
    Lenoir, N.C.