Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How can I be prepared for possible buy of an used egg?

inkyon
inkyon Posts: 88
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
What kind questions, what should I look out for, and anything you would advise me while I make a possible buy for an used one.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    you would want to look for cracks in the lower base, doesnt happen often but thats a pricey fix. take out the fire box and remove ash, the crack can be small and hard to see. look carefully for cracks in the lower corners of the lower vent, when they crack, they crack in the lower corner and disappear under the base, lastly have someone tip it back and inspect under the base. when you buy it new its covered, when second hand its not
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I bought a used med a little over a year ago and have had no problems at all.  That being said, unless you get a phenomenal deal, I would buy a one new.  Like fishlessman said, the warranty is for the life of the BGE. A few extra hundred dolars will buy you some piece of mind. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Where are you located?
  • I bought my large used and spent a good bit of time taking the fire ring and bowl out, looking for cracks.  My fire bowl is cracked in two but the pieces fit together just fine, no crumbling of the bowl.  It's going to be so dirty it will be hard to see cracks, take a flashlight.  I scored my large for $100 with the nest and cast iron top but if the used price and new price were fairly close to each other, I agree with North State, go new and get the warranty.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• The warrenty is priceless. My XL had a crack grow in the bottom of the base, cracked the fire ring, cracked the plate setter and the fire grate, 6 months after I bought it. Sent the warranty guys the pics and the details on a Wednesday, had all parts replaced by Monday. Unless it was dirt dirt cheap... I would go with the lifetime warranty. BGE really stands behind their product.
    BOOMER!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I totally agree with a new one with lifetime warranty. But if you find yourself looking for used....aside from looking for cracks you should ask them to explain how they would light the charcoal. I've heard that the ceramic will take on the odor of lighter fluid if it's used in the egg..
  • Just had all my insides replaced under warranty after 7 years of use......would have to be really cheap for me not to go new
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX