Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Fire Lighters & Posting Pics

JEC23
JEC23 Posts: 131
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know if the BGE starters contain anything which is likely to give off tastes?

How do you folks the post via an iPhone or iPad on the mobile site upload pictures?

Comments

• I have been using BGE starters since I got my BGE...no issue,...got an electric one for Xmas!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I love using the Looflighter or a charcoal chimney!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • All paraffin starters will if you don't let them burn all the way out but you shouldn't have any problems if you do allow them to burn up.  I never had an issue with them ( i used them for years) but moved to another brand that has no odor (Zip) a year or so ago. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • You'll need to download the "photobucket" app, then copy and paste the link of your picture into your posting.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I used a box of the BGE starter before switching to a chimney starter, and an electric heat element starter. I did not notice any residual flavor/scent from the BGE starters. I enjoy the chimney starter process....but sometimes use the electric for a more hands off start.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I've used the bge starters and the weber cubes. They work well for me. Tried the alcohol once and the fire went out. I don't think I put enough in. Will try again, sounds like it may be the way to go. Cheap and no cords, hoses, or tanks.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    like cen-tex said.  yeah, they can taste bad, but only if your food goes on before they are fully consumed.  they DO have a slight tendency to snuff out and smolder.  they need to burn, and not simply glow. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • like cen-tex said.  yeah, they can taste bad, but only if your food goes on before they are fully consumed.  they DO have a slight tendency to snuff out and smolder.  they need to burn, and not simply glow. 
    Yep. That's why I switched
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    You'll need to download the "photobucket" app, then copy and paste the link of your picture into your posting.
    Thanks I have got that was just expecting to see a button in the text box on the forum, I'll give it a go
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2012

I have been using these.  Sold at Ace Hardware for about $13.00  for 144. No taste what so ever has been noticed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    I dont have a pic, but I bought a heat gun from harbor freight and it works better than you would ever imagine. In one minute it has coals going and at two mins it burning like crazy. This is way better than fire starters.
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52
    I use an electric heat element.  The wife bought me a heat gun.  I ahve used it a couple of times.  A buddy of mine raved about it...she bought it thinking I wanted it.  But i prefer the electric heat element.  I have fire starters incase electricty is out for back up.  Used them a couple of times no issues. 
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I showed my wife the Looftlighter video and she said, "No f&c*i^G WAY!" She bought me 8 boxes of the Zip lighters that she found on clearance. They work pretty good. The Rutland lighters Dave mentioned seem like a pretty good deal. 

Maybe I can convince her the Harbor Freight lighter only gets to 1200 degrees and she'll give in! 
    :))
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • chad408
    I am telling you the heat gun from harbor freight is the ticket now that i have it i would never use anything else.
  • I have the electric element, but I think the paper towel with veg oil is easier.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I have a lot of the wax starters and they are fine, just let the smoke burn off.  Don't overlook the 91% alcohol.  The lower %age does not work but the 91% produces a quick near smokless fire and it is cheap. Walgreen's brand for just a couple dollars. I've also used map gass torch but I don't like to stand there holding it.  I've also tried the oil on a paper towel; we have a lot of easy choices.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I have been using the Rutlands from Ace as well, and find them satifactory, but I've had a schedule change that is screwing up my nightly cooks.  Being able to expidite the heating process would help, so I think I'll give a heat gun a try.  Looking at one that is 1,500 watts and max temp of 1,300 degrees.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• chad408
    DOC where did you find one that is 1300 degrees. The one i got is on 1112 degrees.
    I have been using the Rutlands from Ace as well, and find them satifactory, but I've had a schedule change that is screwing up my nightly cooks.  Being able to expidite the heating process would help, so I think I'll give a heat gun a try.  Looking at one that is 1,500 watts and max temp of 1,300 degrees.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    For the wicked good I had tried to use my propane torch, but found that the oil and towels, placed in the bottom ash opening worked best (turned egg into chimney starter).
    So far for either the frontier or whole foods lump, ~20 seconds per spot with bernzomatic propane torch worked like a charm.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Zip works great for me. the solids (not the fluid). Burn really hot and no smell.