Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your best baby back ribs method on BGE?

Options
inkyon
inkyon Posts: 88
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am getting new LBGE and want to cook up some ribs so I am eager to hear the seasoned eggheads' favorite method with pictures. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No pics on this cook. Did baby backs for lunch. 
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min. 
    Pull membrane , rub with Butt Rub or ???. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Did not use mustard.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    i'm with mickey on this one...last couple of bb's were done turbo. turned out just as good as the 5 hr ribs. used a 1/2 tspoon of evoo to give the texas style rub something to stick to. put them back in the fridge till i was ready to start the egg. really good !!

Opelika, Alabama
  • BBQBear
    BBQBear Posts: 11
    Options
    No pics on this cook. Did baby backs for lunch. 
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min. 
    Pull membrane , rub with Butt Rub or ???. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Did not use mustard.
    Did you use a plate setter and a drip pan with liquid?
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    I am still doing it the old way. 3-1-1. 3 hours@ 225 indirect, 1 wrapped in foil with apple juice, 1 hour direct heat saucing every 15 minutes. Many times the last step is shortened if ribs are ready.
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    I am with pswarren.  The 3-1-1, except the last hour is usually less as I serve sauce on the side when I serve.  Like them to fall off the bone. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options
    @BBQBear do not use my plate setter very much. I used my adj rig and a pan to catch drippings. No liquid needed (IMO) as very fast cook.The ribs have a very good bite and moist. They are not "falling off the bone" as I find that a little more dry. That is all a taste deal to each person. THis is just so easy
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I am still doing it the old way. 3-1-1. 3 hours@ 225 indirect, 1 wrapped in foil with apple juice, 1 hour direct heat saucing every 15 minutes. Many times the last step is shortened if ribs are ready.
    try skipping the foil and just do 4-1.  They'll be tender w/o boiling the meat. 
    :@)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    try skipping the foil and just do 4-1.  They'll be tender w/o boiling the meat. 
    :@)
    +1

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BMFD
    BMFD Posts: 25
    Options
    3-1-1 have yielded the best ever but going with carwash Mikes as it is easier. Had some really good ribs yesterday with his method, stayed on 4.5 hours and were awesome. 

225 F for the 3-1-1
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2012
    Options
    imageI do turbo style ribs now.  Baby backs are 350 dome 50 mins bone side down, 50 mins. bone side up.  Check for doneness with bend test, sauce and enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options

Much success with Car Wash Mike's ribs in the past - but what I've read lately, I have to give this turbo method a spin

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I had incredible success w/ the incredibly simple method of about 6 hrs indirect @ 250.  Only thing I added to them was some dry rub.  GF even said they were as good as, if not better than, any of the ribs we tried @ the Reno Rib Fest. 

Here's the details:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137087/st-louis-spare-ribs-first-time-results#Item_7

P.S.  However, if guys are saying they're getting just as good results by cranking the heat up to 350 & cooking for less time, then that's EVEN BETTER!!!!! 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I had incredible success w/ the incredibly simple method of about 6 hrs indirect @ 250.  Only thing I added to them was some dry rub.  GF even said they were as good as, if not better than, any of the ribs we tried @ the Reno Rib Fest.   
    My next batch I'm going to leave at least half a rack dry.  They are very good with just rub and some TLC from the Egg.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • inkyon
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the tips, appreciate it!
  • inkyon
    Options
    I think I am going to cook Mike's carwash method for my first ribs on the Egg. Can't wait for this weekend!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Ribs on weekdays? You bet.

Get home from work, fire up the Egg, set her for 300F dome, raised grid, direct, pick your smoke.

Cut up a rack or two of baby backs, add some rub or not, align them in a rack, and throw 'em on.

Open a beer, make a salad or some pasta, fiddle with the wife, fish for a few casts, make some dipping sauce or open a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, set the table.

Pull the ribs off after ONE hour, on the dot. Let 'em cool to hand-touch for about ten minutes.

Did this again last night. It works very well. Ribs are juicy, flavorful, they don't fall of the bone but they pull off the bone easy, and we kick that dinner can down the road!