Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Pizza Night - success.

Options
daveyray72
daveyray72 Posts: 67
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
After blowing the first attempt at pizza by not heating up the platesetter/pizza stone, tonight was a mission.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!  Made great pizza's for the fam.  Used some homemade Canadian Bacon and Iti Sausage along with store bought pepperoni. The crust was perfect...crispy on the bottom with a bit of chew.  Pic taken down the top of the egg. 

Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Great job! the more you bake them the better they get!
  • TripleD
    TripleD Posts: 14
    Options
    Planning on doing my first pizzas this week. At what temp did you cook? Place setter legs up or down. Etc.
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    I did pizza Saturday. It was my third BGE cook. The results were great.
    Publix crust
    Sorrento brands mozzarella
    Enrico's sauce
    Various toppings
    Plate setter legs up
    Cast iron grate thin side up
    Cheap 10 year old (read: well seasoned) 13" pizza stone
    500-600 degree dome
    450-530 degree stone
    3-5 minute bakes depending on temp

I ran out of charcoal for the last pizza and was actually cooking it with the odd combination of 500 and 530 degree dome and stone respectively. (No, I didn't get that backwards.)

The pizzas were great. My wood fired brick oven pizza loving wife said the were fantastic. I thought I over cooked the bottom of crust on all of them. But the chewy part of the crust poofed up great and was excellent.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • daveyray72
    Options
    Planning on doing my first pizzas this week. At what temp did you cook? Place setter legs up or down. Etc.
    Legs up on the platesetter...pizza stone sitting on the grate.  I have a small, so not much room.  I use a 12" stone.

First pizza was started at 550deg, 2nd 525deg, 3rd started at 475deg and fell, and took a while (9-10minutes).  I had not completely filled my firebox before this cook, and I think I was running out of lump.

All the crusts were perfect.  I used The Naked Whiz's dough with a few slight variations. 
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric