Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook*

Options

Comments

• TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
    Options
    You couldn't resist could you?! Good news. I'm at 222 dome 217 grate with internal at 156 at the 10th hour.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    alright boys. Headed out to dinner for a few hours. Good luck and let me know how they all turn out! I'll check back in later
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TxAg93
    Options
    11th hour and everything is the same as before. Enjoy your dinner Cen-Tex.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Internal temp has dropped to 154.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Well... it was all good, but not great... I'm not sure what I did wrong with burnt ends... perhaps cooked them a bit too long (only 2-2.5 hours though)  They may of been better before doing them, were definately better in the middle of the cook sampled, but were still pretty good none the less...
    Flat was so-so... had a fairly nice texture, nice pull to it, but was a bit dry... Beans were good for just throwing it together like that...
    Pics to enjoy...

Whole wheat bread... which was quite good...

Amount of charcoal left (stirred to remove some of ash and pushed to side for picture) after ~18-19 hours on the XL...
  • TxAg93
    Options
    I'm sure it was mighty tasty nonetheless. Looks impressive.

I'm at the 14th hour internal is at 154 and grill is 221.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    I'm starting to think I might be exactly on target for a morning finish.
  • centex99
    Options
    or a night of being up all night checking if its done yet!
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Nah, that's what the 732 is for. Alarm is set for 190. :)
  • TxAg93
    Options
    15th hour 228 grill 154 internal
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    good. definitely in the stall then. That's totally OK

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    good. definitely in the stall then. That's totally OK

back from dinner, obviously. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    or a night of being up all night checking if its done yet!
    bingo :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well... it was all good, but not great... I'm not sure what I did wrong with burnt ends... perhaps cooked them a bit too long (only 2-2.5 hours though)  They may of been better before doing them, were definately better in the middle of the cook sampled, but were still pretty good none the less...
    Flat was so-so... had a fairly nice texture, nice pull to it, but was a bit dry... Beans were good for just throwing it together like that...
    Pics to enjoy...

Whole wheat bread... which was quite good...

Amount of charcoal left (stirred to remove some of ash and pushed to side for picture) after ~18-19 hours on the XL...
    Yeah, I never totally understood the burnt ends thing. The point is by far the most ethereal cut of BBQ when cooked right. I know people swear by burnt ends, but I love brisket point right off the pit.

Flats are so hard to get right. Like I said- I hoard the point and give the flat to the kids. Especially the thinner parts of the flat. Brisket is a finicky little mistress and it takes a lot of cooks like this to get it right consistently. Don't give up. 

Sooooo....Take your flat, chop it up, mix in a great sauce and make sandwiches. They will be awesome and everyone will tell you how awesome your brisket is. That's the secret to flats that tun out "so-so".
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    11th hour and everything is the same as before. Enjoy your dinner Cen-Tex.
    Dude- I had chicken fried beef rib (on the bone) for dinner...............yeah, that just happened. I need a nap!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm starting to think I might be exactly on target for a morning finish.
    Call me at 2 am when your alarm goes off....oh wait....don't  :))
  • TxAg93
    Options
    lol... Best I had was a chicken fried bone in ribeye.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Cen-Tex you're all heart dude.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex you're all heart dude.
    i figure I've had my share of sleepless bights babysitting briskets. it's time for the new bucks to run ( I would say young bucks but I'm still holding onto the fact that 43 passes for hip and young)

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    You guys might need a forum break....looking at the timestamps on this thread, you've been at it all day! :-t
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You guys might need a forum break....looking at the timestamps on this thread, you've been at it all day! :-t
    True
  • centex99
    Options
    chicken fried bone in ribeye... oh my god... where?  I want one... though the fried beef rib sounds good too... I had a fried pork rib on the bone one time that was fairly good....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    chicken fried bone in ribeye... oh my god... where?  I want one... though the fried beef rib sounds good too... I had a fried pork rib on the bone one time that was fairly good....
    Actually had an awesome chicken fried rib-eye in McKinney at Rick's chophouse. The chef is on that BBQ pit masters show...god I have a problem.

• TxAg93
    Options
    In Fredericksburg. Can't remember the restaurant but I can search if you're really interested.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Yes MQ you're right but between soaking up sunshine, smoke and beer all day what else was there to do?
  • TxAg93
    Options
    And 43 is still young even though I'm a couple years away from hitting that.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Woo hoo! 158! Two degree happy dance. Ok not really...
  • centex99
    Options
    I'd love to know where... that sounds amazing... and I may have to try that out at Ricks... I've never actually been there... I saw him on the one pit masters season and well... he somewhat came across as a moron... kinda turned me off from wanting to go there, but I may go give the place a try sometime...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'd love to know where... that sounds amazing... and I may have to try that out at Ricks... I've never actually been there... I saw him on the one pit masters season and well... he somewhat came across as a moron... kinda turned me off from wanting to go there, but I may go give the place a try sometime...
    It's good food. especially if yo live right there. he is a bit of a tool though. He's never there so it's just normal McKinney folk cooking good food. Give it a shot
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Cabernet Grill in Fredericksburg. They top the thing off with lobster. Of course they also have chicken fried pecan pie.