Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Skillet... I want one.

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want a few big ones. I have a small #6 Lodge that is not very non-stick. My question is: is  the Griswold and Wagner stuff worth it? I'm thinking something in the 14-18 in range. 
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Love my Wagner! It was my grandmother's, so it is very well seasoned.  Yard sales and antique shops can be good resources for cast iron.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    Options
    you kidding me?
    not kidding, my wagner is literally mirror finish.  nothing sticks.

the old ones were ground mirror smooth
    don't think i have a shot of it empty, but you can see some of it here

when hot, i run some water in it, wipe with a paper towel, and hang to dry.  done.

if something sticks, maybe a copper scouring pad and a little hot water.  seasoning stays.
    the outside hasn't been washed in my lifetime. and never sees soap.

you can see the exterior here. (reheating an aged christmas rib roast

some BGE related stuff

duck

searing a roast

searing a tenderloin for a wellington

little elk steak

little one with some roasted garlic

cheap stuff i found in our barn
    before:

during:

after:

doesn't have to be high end antique stuff... but try to get the smooth-ground stuff

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I've got a couple Wagners and a Griswold and they are ground smooth unlike any skillet newly made these days that I have seen which have a pitted finish. Look at some flea markets too and just try and make sure you find one that sits flat. If you find one that's got a ton of build up then throw it in the egg at 900 (or self clean mode in oven) to burn off build up, scrub with soap and season. Ebay has plenty too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Well.... That will learn me. My wife was looking over my shoulder and said "We have one of those". Darn it, women. She had her grandmothers Wagner hidden since she dies 4 years ago at the age of 93. She was born in Ireland, TX and lived in Lampasas for most of her life. I have tried to figure out the age of this skillet but, I am unable. 

Any of you guys able to make heads or tails of it?

• yzzi
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but that's probably between the 1920-30s. Don't make them like that anymore. Throw that thing in a 900 egg if you want to burn off everything and start new. That's what I like doing if I get it from someone I don't know. It will come out rust colored, but just scrub everything really good, throw it in the oven to dry and then season however you'd like to. I promise you it's not worth the effort so just send it over you me and I'll take it off you hands.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stike
    Options
    that's what i have, only mine's a little bigger (first time i have evr been able to say that)
    don't eff it up.

if you sandblast it, i will hunt you down and beat you to death with it.

flip it over. let's see the interior. the exterior has rust, but that's nothing.
    wire brush the loose stuff, run the rest under hot water, hot has your hands can take it, and work it with a plastic scouring pad.  see if that's all it takes to clean it up. 

no need to return the thing to someone else's idea of 'clean'.  if you need, scour the inside with a metal scouring pad.  a little crisco rubbed on it and then into an egg or oven at semi low temps 250-ish for a few hours.  then never wash it other than to rinse. it will build a patina or seasoning over time.

divorce/defriend/estrange anyone who puts it in the dishwasher or submerges it in soapy water
  • travisstrick
    Options
    The inside is super smooth and no rust. There are a few very small "food spots" or whatever. It's so smooth, I don't think I want to mess with it.image
  • yzzi
    Options
    Yeah that's a really good surface. Ones I've come across have had a half inch of nasty buildup that nobody would cook food for a dog on. Just scrub off the rust on the back as best you can and coat with a thin coat of oil or something. My father in law just gave me a rusty one he's been using as a planter in the back yard.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stike
    Options
    it could use a little love.

i would handwash with hot water. see what comes off.  use good hot water and then let it sit on a burner that you have turned on and then off after it heated up (if you have an electric burner).  it will heat the iron and dry it quickly.
    then do the crisco trick (or veggie oil, whatever)

rub liberally, but not runny.
    into a low oven for a while.  and then use it.
    in about fifty years you will have a perfect surface
  • stike
    Options
    ..of course you have an electric burner... friggin stike not lookin at the pics
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    The vintage CI is a little thinner, lighter, and has a smoother interior. I bought a few Griswold pieces off Etsy.com and they are fantastic. I also have a newer Wagner with the rougher finish, and it works fine also, but I would go vintage if you can. I think I paid less than $25 for the 2 I bought, and they were both flat and in great condition. One is from the late 20's/early 30's and the other is from the late 1800's.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    How can you tell the app age of Gris and wag CI?

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    That's the same thing I'm trying to figure out.
  • yzzi
    Options
    For griswold you can guesstimate by the logo as it changed over the years: http://www.griswoldcookware.com/history.htm
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    Thanks
    yzzi
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    Options
    Travis, did you live in Gulf Breeze?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Sure did. On Bay st.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Oh ****! Big Steve, is that you?
  • BigSteve
    Options
    YOU KNOW IT!!!!!
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Well... Small world. How you been? Still in Navarre? Got your egg yet?
  • BigSteve
    Options

I got the XL in Feb. and have hardly used my kitchen since.  My wife and both work in Pensacola but we bought a house in Gulf Breeze 3 years ago.

• stike
    Options
    In my mind's eye i see two fluffy puppies running across a field of daisies and tall grass toward each other, collapsing into a snuggle fight

>stike sniffles, pretending that something is in his eye<
  • RichardBronosky
    RichardBronosky Posts: 213
    edited April 2012
    Options
    FLAX SEED OIL!  FLAX SEED OIL!  FLAX SEED OIL! 

That is what you season with. It is the only edible oil that dries hard.

This has been discussed here many times. Let's stop repeating what our grandmothers taught us and go with what science has proven.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have an XL too. Now we can share everything!

My kitchen doesn't get used much either. In fact, I just threw out 15 empty 8.8lb bags of lump yesterday.

I live in Texas now. I'm married with my first kid due in two months. Pop still lives at the old place.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Fine! Flaxseed oil it is then. I'll do a practice on my small Lodge pan and get back to the group.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    FWIW, I read that blog and bought a small bottle of flaxseed oil.
    I've applied a couple coats to my lodge pan, CI grate and the daisy wheel, and it definetly has given them a deep black and shiney coat.
    my CI grate just seems to eat it up.
    It will make a very nasty smoke though.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    Options
    Daily use is what works for me. You should not have to repeatedly season a pan. One time, followed by regular use

• DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    I am reconditioning two Griswold CI skillets that my mother used for decades and she got that from her mother. They sat in the garage fro years but are in good shape.When I learn how to post pics will do so. Thanks for the link yzzi.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    To get an old Griswold in the 14-18" range it will cost you in the $200-$500 range from from anyone that knows what it's worth. The #12 is right at 14" which is huge. I would suggest looking for a #9 large logo which can be found for around $50 and has about 10" cooking surface.