Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I ruin it???

crunk
crunk Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Guys/Gals,

I put on a butt around 6:00am this morning to be ready around 4:00pm for a family get together. I woke up at 8:00 and when i went to check on it my temp had shot up to 400 degrees. Not sure if it has been there for a 1/2 hour or 1 1/2 hours..... Im in process of getting the temp back down right now....Is my butt ruined or is is still salvagable?  Any advice would certainly be appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I'm sure it will be fine, especially for what was probably a short time. Get the temp dialed in and continue on.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Should be fine... just monitor temps/tenderness on the butt... if its bone in, when the bone looks slightly pulled back and wiggles easily... I'd cook to 190ish meat temp... 
    If its done early, take it off, wrap it in foil, take the foil wrapped butts and wrap them in towels and put them in a small dry cooler... they'll stay super hot this way until closer to 4pm...
    Pull them out of the cooler just before you need them and shred/pull away.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    You could do two things:

1.) Drop the temp to zero for three hours, and on average, will be your desired 200-250 degree temp, or
    2.) You could just drop the temp to 250 and continue cooking

I would opt for choice 2, but that is just me. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you can''t really avergae it out.,  just drop tp 250 and keep going.
    that short a period of time won't do anything but give you more bark.  you can do these things at 350 if you really want. 

hardest part will be dialing back temps.  just shut the vents almost closed and wait an hour before you decide whether temps are moving down. it won't happen quickly
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Stike, just kidding about 1 my man, reason why I chose 2.  Thought that would be pretty clear, obviously mistaken

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i joke all the time, and it's always taken wrong.  nature of the internet i guess
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    @stike. You joke? Lad you told me that. I just thought u were a meanie. cool

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    That may have been a good thing, I can't get a butt to cook in 10 hours...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Don't hide your mistake, FEATURE it! You have successfully done the first reverse, reverse sear!  ;)

I am in agreement with the others - it will be fine.
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    Thanks Everyone! It is resting comfortably in a cooler right now..I pulled it at around 195 degrees and the bone was ready to fall out so i dont think i ruined it....
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Be sure to take/post pic before/after you pull it!