Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Handler attached pros and cons?

Options
VA in GA
VA in GA Posts: 54
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,    What can you tell me before buying one, the large nest handler attacted for moving the egg around for one person use?  The pros and cons??   Getting ready to purchase a large egg, want to have the basic's that I really should start out with, hear different things from different retailers!

Look forward to hearing from you!     Virginia

Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!

Comments

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options

I have two larges, one with handler, one without. I'm planning to get the second a handler as well because in my opinion it allows for a more stable, safer roll when pulling the egg back and forth from the garage.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• VA in GA
    Options

I have two larges, one with handler, one without. I'm planning to get the second a handler as well because in my opinion it allows for a more stable, safer roll when pulling the egg back and forth from the garage.

Hello,   Thank you for your info, it does help me out!  I too will probably be adding that to my first purchase.     Happy Easter, Virginia
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If you are going to be moving it over uneven ground, sure it's nice. If not there are many more things to spend your money on.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Happy Easter to you as well. Which arrives first the Bunny or the Egg?

• gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm about to get a med BGE with the Nest. I would you suggest a Handler for it? I'll be moving in and out my patio area.
  • gabriegger
    Options
    I swear by mine on the large. A bit of distance from the garage to the back of the house. I don't have room to have a table so I'm keeping it mobile. I find the handler provides more stability.

• apollo140140
    Options
    I would recommend them for any Egg that is not in a table.  I wish the Handler was standard with the nest. If you have to move your Egg at all it makes it 100 times easier.  Also if you transport your Egg at all it is much easier to strap it down/in.  Everything is just more stable with the handler on.
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks apollo for your response, I'll be sure to include it when I purchase it. Don't won't break the thing.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Yep. The handler not only provides a nice handle for the egg, it also connects the nest, egg, and handle as one unit. Very stable.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have it and would not go without. Had ordered a second large and ordered a second handler. Wish they made one for the Mini, it would just be cute.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gabriegger
    Options
    Also provides some protection to the base. Moving it once a bit too fast the wheel got caught on a pebble and tipped towards me. Couldn't stop it cuz it's too heavy. Grabbed the chimney on the dome and it landed on the handler. Bent the top sides of the handler a bit but no damage to the base. Pounded back a couple to steady the nerves and went on cooking.

• brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the handler on my medium and it's great. I couldn't imagine dragging my egg around without it. It makes the entire assembly feel more stable as well.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I have done a nest without a handler, and I would never do another nest without the handler. 
  • gabriegger
    Options
    @Mickey I was thinking about a handler for the Mini. Maybe a little green wagon?

• VA in GA
    Options

Happy Easter to you as well. Which arrives first the Bunny or the Egg?

Well, I thought yetesday that the egg would come first but I couldn't decide between the large or medium, handler wasn't in stock for either until today!  :-(    With Easter and all can't get back to store until Tuesday! (140 miles around trip!)    So, the Easter bunny will come first, but what fun I'll have afterwards!  :-) 

• VA in GA
    Options
    Thank YOU, Thank YOU all you eggheads for so much freat advise.  It is greatly appreciated...Have a safe and Happy Easter.  Virginia