Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts for a crowd ! Ideas please

Deckchef
Deckchef Posts: 40
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking two butts for a get together on sat and need recipes for a good vinegar based east Carolina sauce and a tomato based sweet sauce. Thanks in advanced!!

Comments

• I followed one posted on The Naked Whiz's site and it was great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• I never measure so I may not be much help but here's a good tomato based sauce:

For a large crowd I do the following:

1) I- 40 oz squeeze bottle of Heinz Ketchup (I use the bottle to store the sauce when done)
    2) 1/2-3/4 cup of cheap yellow mustard (don't get fancy here). Start with 1/2 cup and and squeeze more in to taste.
    3) A generous amount of whatever rub you use for your butts (Dizzy Dust makes awesome sauce- it's all I use anymore). I sprinkle it on until it covers the top then mix in. Remember, you can always add more so start with a little and build it up to your taste. 
    4) 1/4 cup of Worcestershire
    5) Then I always add a full 12 oz coffee porter or coffee stout beer. You can use any good beer but I find dark beers impart great flavor in BBQ sauce. If you like it really sweet, you can do one of 2 things: Use the beer and add sugar (there is a ton of sugar in ketchup and even more in dizzy dust so taste to see if it's enough for you). Or, you can swap the beer for Dr. Pepper or Sprite. This is too sweet for me, but I like a real zippy sauce. It won't be syrupy sweet even with the soda so try a little (split it in half and do one with beer and one with soda and see which one you like. 

When you are done, you can pour it back into the ketchup bottle to hold in the fridge. it won't all fit, but after you serve lunch, there will be a lot less of this sauce to put back in the bottle. It keeps for months. I actually keep a 64oz bottle around to store mine in so I can hold it all. 

My buddy is the brewer at our local brewpub and the sauce in the attached pic is made with his coffee stout (we all call him snowman- hence the name on the sauce). Good beer makes good sauce!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • This one is good too:

East Carolina Vinegar Sauce:

1 c cider vinegar
    1 c white vinegar
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp cayenne
    1 tbsp tabasco sauce
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    - Combine all ingredients and whisk together. User immediately or refrigerate overnight for more developed taste
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012
     @Cen-Tex Smoker: both look outstanding. I think I will try the one you use. Did not discover PP till a couple of years ago and WOW..... Not a fan of BBQ Sauce on it so just been using just Geaux Jus from Bad Byrons and is good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83

I leave out the liquid smoke and cut down on the cayenne a bit. I also add a little more brown sugar and some honey, but you should always season to taste. This is the only sauce I use anymore.

Big Daddy's Carolina sauce

• 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon white pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Preparation:

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.
  • I leave out the liquid smoke and cut down on the cayenne a bit. I also add a little more brown sugar and some honey, but you should always season to taste. This is the only sauce I use anymore.

Big Daddy's Carolina sauce

• 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
    • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon white pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Preparation:

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.
    @bgelovr- excellent point and thank you. I don't use liquid smoke on anything. I forgot that was on here and I haven't looked at that link in while. Do not use liquid smoke!!!!
  • I've lost my mind- you posted a different recipe- I knew mine didn't have liquid smoke. Cen-Tex must be low on beer this morning :)

I'll give yours a rip too. Always looking for good stuff.

Thanks