Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

meat73
meat73 Posts: 140
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

When you put the butt on the grill do you put the fat down or up or doesnt it matter.  Doing this for Easter on Sunday and dont really need to screw up with family here.

Thanks

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I am in the "fat side down" camp just so that if anything sticks to the grate it is fat.  But you will get both sides of the debate and I really don't think it makes a difference.  Hopefully others witll offer their thoughts.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Fat down for the reasons listed above...
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I normally trim the fat as much as I can as I don't want to loose the bark when throwing the big layer of fat when done. With that, there really isn't a fat side to put up or down but the trimmed side is up for me.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    edited April 2012
    I don't care, I never see any diffrence anyway.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I normally trim the fat as much as I can as I don't want to loose the bark when throwing the big layer of fat when done. With that, there really isn't a fat side to put up or down but the trimmed side is up for me.
    +1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I do butts the same as bigguy. I trim the outer fat and don't pay Attn to which side is up. I like lots of bark so I trim the pretty tight.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The good news here is, this is the most forgiving cook possible. I have tried fat down, fat up, & trimmed fat.

I prefer to trim the fat, cook with fat up and no hotter than 220. In my opinion... and I may be very wrong, but the longer the cook, the deeper the bark.

BOOMER!
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Thanks guys What do you do for sause my family isnt big into bbq sause and wondering if I can just have some acailable on the side or will this screw the flavor up?
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    It's perfectly good with out sauce for those that aren't into sauce. For me, I like cider vinegar and crushed red pepper. Maybe a dash of salt in it. Sometimes I may add a little tomato paste to it or mustard, but I usually keep it simple and let the meat do most of the talking.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Check out amazingribs.com....
    His pulled pork instructions are flawless and he has 6-8 sauces by region...the mustard one drizzled on top s wicked! Too much sauce can overpower the taste... I just did a nice one last week - be patient through The Stall