Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To pull or not To Pull - MASTERS BBQ

ldub
ldub Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I have two 7.5lb butt's on the egg tonight that I will take off tomorrow morning before heading to the most wonderful place in the world tomorrow (THE MASTERS).  I am cooking them for a bbq on Friday night.  The plan is to tak them off in the morning at 08:00 and then wrap them in HDAF and take the 2.5 hour trip to Augusta.  Do I pull them when I get there or leave them foiled and pull on Friday???

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    Wrap them in foil, then in towels and put them in a cooler.  Should be fine for at least 4 hours.  Then pull them and reheat the next day.  

By the way, very cool that you're going to the Masters!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited April 2012
    2.5 hours?  I would pull when I get there. After the HDAF, then wrap in towels and keep in cooler.  They will still be too hot to touch even after 4 hours if you wrap them good.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I would love to see that place in person. From what I hear the tv just can't do it justice.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

"Cemetaries and golf courses, the two biggest wastes of prime real estate..."

Al Czervik

• ldub
    @Gato - it's unreal.  I have been lucky and my wife is from Augusta.  I mainly go just to party but I have been lucky enough to go to the tournament and will be going again this year.  It is probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen - sad to say the azalea's have already bloomed and died this year due to a very warm spring for us but you can't beat just how amazing this place really is.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Yep, that's what I've heard. I would love to make it one year. Even just a practice round...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    THE MOST WONDERFUL PLACE IN THE WORLD!  NOT.
  • It's an awesome place. been there and would love to go back. Now for the important part- pull when you get there. The sooner you pull, the sooner it dries out. I had one in a cooler for 12 hours Saturday (lots of towels) and pulled it that night. it was still 145 in the middle. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I use a small igloo ice chest but quit using towels after reading a discussion on how towels just absorb heat and are unnecessary in insulated ice chests. Where is the heat going to go? It works as great and saves a step-(and washing)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Pork butts I'm good at, going to the masters is a dream of mine.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I use a small igloo ice chest but quit using towels after reading a discussion on how towels just absorb heat and are unnecessary in insulated ice chests. Where is the heat going to go? It works as great and saves a step-(and washing)
    Jeff- Think about it- if you had a butt just sitting on a counter, and another one wrapped in 2 towels, which one would you think would stay warm longer? The towels add hours of insulation to a butt in a cooler.
  • Pork butts I'm good at, going to the masters is a dream of mine.
    It's awesome and highly recommended. 
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I'm fortunate to have 4 badges every year. Usually I rent my house and include the badges, but for the first time in 10 years we stayed in town and going to it with friends.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I've been several times, the place is just beautiful! I mainly go on Friday when I go. I don't think I would go on a Sunday. That is the day to be in front of the tube watching ALL the action.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012
    News ran a story about a mans dog that eat his tickets a couple of days ago. The guy got the dog to toss them and was able to reconstruct enough the Masters reprinted. Pic of toss and not nice looking :o3
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    The only days to go to the Masters are Wednesday (can take pics and watch the par 3 contest), and Thurs/Fri when you can watch the entire field and everyone is a little more spread out. Definitely better to watch the weekend on TV.

I usually just end up eating a lot of very inexpensive pimento cheese sandwiches and drinking some very reasonably priced beer and walking around. $25 will buy you more than you can eat and drink in one day.

The thing you don't pick up on TV is the change in elevation on every hole. There isn't a flat spot on the entire course. It is really remarkable.

Anyone who enjoys the game of golf need to experience it at least one time.

OK, back to BBQ...
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited April 2012
    I think Sunday is the best day to visit for a lover of golf. I have my son and 3 of his friends take 2 chairs each to the course a couple hours before it opens. They wait until they let them into the course(2 at the front gate and 2 at the back gate) and they walk extremely fast (no running or jogging on the course-they are strict about that, the early birds getting their chair position-- they know the youngsters are getting paid to do it and turn a blind eye) to the 18th green and set up chairs next to the hole and the other 2 do the same on Amen Corner. That holds our place when we get there in the early afternoon. I pay them a few hundred and get great views of the action ( many people do this). Nothing better in golf than watching the winner as he approaches the 18th green on Sunday. Magical and tv doesn't do it justice.

Par 3 is fun also. Too bad they canceled it yesterday because of weather.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Come on Tiger! I don't watch golf, but I root for Tiger since he is a big Raiders fan!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

"Cemetaries and golf courses, the two biggest wastes of prime real estate..."

Al Czervik

=))

I love Caddy Shack
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I'm a Tin Cup kinda of guy myself.

"The only two things you don't have to be good at to enjoy... are sex and golf."

BOOMER!
  • ldub

So I pulled it when I got into town thursday afternoon and we had a party of 30-40 people on Friday night.  The q was outstanding and the tournament on Saturday afternoon was even better with Phil making everything on the back.  We camped out on 15 and 16 and the flop shot was amazing - now back to BBQ

• So I pulled it when I got into town thursday afternoon and we had a party of 30-40 people on Friday night.  The q was outstanding and the tournament on Saturday afternoon was even better with Phil making everything on the back.  We camped out on 15 and 16 and the flop shot was amazing - now back to BBQ

What an awesome weekend! Good work if you can get it huh?

• ldub