Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters

Options
Jarhead54
Jarhead54 Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in Seafood
I wish to roast oysters on my xlarge Egg.  I can just imagine laying out a layer upon my cast iron grate and with hickory chunks smoking, produce a tasty treat upon their popping open to that lively smoke.  Anybody tried this before?

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I personally haven't but go to the nolacuisine website and do a search for drago charbroiled oysters. I can't wait to try it. Have a friend that says they are awesome
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • got2bbq
    got2bbq Posts: 3
    Options
    used lump coal and apple wood chips, plate setter legs were up and I put a shallow pie pan on the plate setter put on the grill and heated to 400.  When the oysters opened I put some pesto on them but I collect what ever fluid is in the pan and mix it in the pesto for additional flavor.  I like a mild pesto.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Are you talking about roasting (ie, lower temp, longer time), or chargrilling (~4-5 minutes on the grill at a higher heat)?

If chargrilling, then yes, several people have done this before. Here's a link showing Hogaholic, as well as my own attempts at chargrilled oysters (dang, now you're making me hungry!!) hehehe

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1150195#Comment_1150195
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    You bet The oysters here in eastern NC are deliciously salty. Just get the egg going good (450 on up) and put the oysters right on the grill, cup side down to retain the liquid.They will pop in 4-6 mins and you can make them "rare" (my fav) to well done (sic chewy). I can get about 2-3 doz on at a time and have cooked for 10-12 people.A bushel has about 300 oysters in it and for that number of serious shuckers there were  few left.Easy,fun and a great way to entertain. Might want to throw in a few doz clams too.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm doing a bunch drago style and a few others at the salado eggfest:)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ROCKNFALCON40
    Options
    I hope the egg's magic can help the oyster.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I hope the egg's magic can help the oyster.
    Travis had them standing in line for his oysters at Salado, if that answers your question.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• aleffler
    aleffler Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I personally haven't but go to the nolacuisine website and do a search for drago charbroiled oysters. I can't wait to try it. Have a friend that says they are awesome
    I just got back from NOLA yesterday, and Drago had the best charbroiled Oysters in the city.  Between my wife and I we had at least 5 dozen different oysters over a week.  I cannot wait to try this recipe.  
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Drago style... never knew that was a style... just tasty! :D Ive done something similar several times. 
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Guys are you saying you can place a closed oyster on the grill and it will just open? Then doctor it up?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Mikey - yes you can certainly place a whole oyster on the grill and it will pop open. Depending on how you like your oysters you could run into a problem. I like mine loose or close to raw. Once they barely "pop" open they are done for me. If you like them a little more done than you could certainly doctor them up after the pop.