Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Grid

Options
Fliehigh
Fliehigh Posts: 76
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I just got my Grid 3 weeks ago and I noticed yesterday that it is begining to seperate at one of the weld points. Is this normal?

My dealer says this happens as it is cast iron and that is just it's nature.

Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Picture please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I wasn't aware that there are any weld points ... ?

Couldn't see any welds on mine ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Fliehigh
    Options
    I will try and get a picture for tomorrow.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options

I wasn't aware that there are any weld points ... ?

Couldn't see any welds on mine ...

Same here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    X3, no welds on my LBGE CI either.

Are u sure it's the CI?
    What size?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah. it's cast in one piece. they don't weld them together.  if it is a separation, it's a crack
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fliehigh
    Options
    Ok.

Is it normal for them to crack then? I didn't think cast iron should crack but my dealer says it is normal.

• Fliehigh
    Options
    Tazcrash

Yes I am sure it is the CI grid.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the ci grids are formed by pouring melted cast iron into a silica type mold.  Really can't weld cast iron, it's too brittle.  t 
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • forty_crk
    forty_crk Posts: 52
    Options
    true from all the above you can't weld cast iron.  I've had my CI grid for 4 years. I have broke a small piece of it but it still works fine!!!
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    3 weeks old? Return it. If your dealer refuses, tell them that being an authorized BGE Dealer us a right not a privilege. BGE its very protective of their brand and won't allow sheisters to represent them.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    3 weeks old? Return it. If your dealer refuses, tell them that being an authorized BGE Dealer us a right not a privilege. BGE its very protective of their brand and won't allow sheisters to represent them.
    I agree. I don't care what it it is. if it failed after 3 weeks, take it back
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    It is CAST iron, no welds.  And it should not crack.  That is a defect.  Your dealer is wrong. 
    You can weld cast iron.  It has to be done with certain welding rods.  But it can be welded and it does quite well.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Fliehigh
    Options

Ok so here are some pictures (sorry about the quality).

The Grid is 23 days old.

• stike
    Options
    re: "BGE its very protective of their brand and won't allow sheisters to represent them"

they may not allow 'sheisters', but they sure as heck have a good number of dealers who know nothing about the product, accessories, and the warranty

sad but true
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    re: "BGE its very protective of their brand and won't allow sheisters to represent them"

they may not allow 'sheisters', but they sure as heck have a good number of dealers who know nothing about the product, accessories, and the warranty

sad but true
    Amen. I found a good one here in Austin but I've been through a few of them that didn't know squat.
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm a bit confused here.  I got my large egg this past December (2011) and it came with a stainless steel grate, not a CI.  But I hear tell of people receiving their eggs with CI grates.  Did I get ripped off?  Will the mothership send me a CI grate if I request one as a replacement?

• Fliehigh
    Options

I had to buy this seperate as an acessory. I wanted the CI to do steaks and such.

The only one that came with the LBGE was the stainless.

• stike
    Options
    CI is a separate accessory

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    My CI has broken in several spots. Probably six years old now and still works. It will eventually fail in a critical spot.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tazcrash
    Options
    OK, I shouldn't have read this pot. 
    Tonight while cooking onions in a CI skillet, I heard mine "pop". Looks like It's snapped in 2 places.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Quick update, It cracked in 3 places.
    Loving my local dealer.
    After a short discussion, Chef Central here on rte. 17 did the right thing, and took the one I bought in March back, and gave me a new one.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Quick update, It cracked in 3 places.
    Loving my local dealer.
    After a short discussion, Chef Central here on rte. 17 did the right thing, and took the one I bought in March back, and gave me a new one.  
    Good shop. Mine hooked my up this week too. Cracked box, ring and grate. I didn't buy it there because I lived in WI at the time. I use them for everything else (except charcoal) so they know me pretty well. I sent photos of each and they handled the warranty without a hitch. 7 year old egg and BGE didn't bat an eye on replacing everything. Thanks to BGE and BBQ outfitters here in Austin. Good folks all the way around.Any of you guys in Austin, go see my peeps at BBQ outfitters on 620 & 2222
  • Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    They all crack and separate. Mine happened after the second cook. they will last a very long time.