Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Gasket Question

Options
Bubba12803
Bubba12803 Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have viewed some photos on here where it appears that the gasket is only on the dome but not on the base. There are also photos where it appears that the gasket is only on the base and not the dome. I have also viewed photos showing the gasket on both dome and base. Is one way better than the other? I would assume you would want both dome and base to have a gasket but I was wondering if there were any advantages to having the gasket on just the dome or base.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If its only on the dome, you can't drip food or get lump on it. If it only on the base, it's easier to install without contortion or disassembly. Only doing one or the other cuts work in exactly half.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Not doing cuts the work by 100%. The biggest reason to have "any" gasket is dropping the lid. Lots have no gaskets and no problems. Mine cuts the fire off just as fast as when I had a gasket (that first few days).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm in the "cut 100%" group. I did some imaginary (no pics) ribs last night and had no problem holding the temp at 250. For my egg and my cooking, the gasket is no value added.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Not doing cuts the work by 100%. The biggest reason to have "any" gasket is dropping the lid. Lots have no gaskets and no problems. Mine cuts the fire off just as fast as when I had a gasket (that first few days).
    I'm in the "cut 100%" group. I did some imaginary (no pics) ribs last night and had no problem holding the temp at 250. For my egg and my cooking, the gasket is no value added.
    Mickeytravisstrick
    thank you gents. This is what I've been waiting to read.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am trying to decide on replacing mine. I am trying to train the wife on egging and she is really petite therefore the dome is really heavy for her. In an effort to save my egg from her dropping the dome without a gasket in place I think I am replacing with a Nomex. No Rutland for me because wife is pregnant and I couldn't sleep at night with the thought of her consuming fiberglass or whatever they say is in the rutland. I would much rather go the no gasket route though as it seems to be just fine.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I am finally getting around to replacing my gasket tonight. BGE nomex variety, see how long it lasts, i do mostly low and slows, but a steak once a week or a 3hr 650 pizza night isn't unheard of. Sure it runs fine without one, but it's designed to have one. If I do a high heat cook I can see the glow from a few spots around the lid. I readjusted it after i peeled off the stock gasket. But the mating surfaces aren't machined so will not create a perfect seal. Call me anal, but if it's meant to have one, keep one on there. Also, the lid is heavy, 50+lbs, it's nice to have a little cushion in case you don't set it down slowly.
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    Well I contacted BGE last week and let them no i burned up my gasket after only a month of use. The guy got back to me today and got my address and is shipping out a new high heat green egg gasket today. Great customer service and am glad to see that they will replace for free.
  • Bubba12803
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I was unsure if there would be any benefits doing top vs bottom or doing both of them.