Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Umbrella over egg

Options
Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It has been raining every day for weeks here in Wis. I am so sick of cooking in the rain that I am thinking of a patio umbrella over the egg. Rather than drill a hole in my table, I was thinking of a u-bolt in the end of the table to hold the umbrella against it , with the base of the umbrella in a regular umbrella base on the deck. Any thoughts on this setup? Thanks, Billy

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Billy,That will work. Go for it.
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Billy,[p]My large BGE is just in an Egg Nest, not a table. I have a basic patio umbrella in a stand, and find it very convenient to move it out into the yard & position it over the Egg. [p]You could try that first...you might not need the u-bolt at all.[p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Options
    JJ,[p]U-bolt it is. ;-}[p]Wish I had room for a handsome table like yours, especially now that we're a 2-Egg family.[p]Cathy
  • JJ
    Options
    Little Sis,
    Let me know when and I will come to NYC and custom make one for y'all.
    Your Bro.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Billy, As JJ says.. that will work..but may I submit, only during a calm storm. Now JJ is a ships master, and knows the full square footage of wind resistance of a sail. So If you do mount the umbrella, know the wind resitance and the weight ratios..and the tip over factor without stabilizer extensions on both sides of the BGE.. I don't think you will need stabilizers on the rear mount end tho.
    I felt mean..and thought I would toss this in there..If a storm comes up....fold and tie the umbrella...:-)Cheers..C~W[p]

• Cat
    Options
    JJ,[p]You're a sweetheart...although first you'll have to make me a bigger back yard![p]You & Kathy have an open invitation to dinner in our pint-sized yard anytime.[p]Sis
  • JJ
    Options
    Sis,
    Two words. Air Rights. hehe