Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about my butt!

mudpuppy45
mudpuppy45 Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to put on a 8# butt on a Medium BGE.  I also have a 6# butt that I would like to cook.  Can I sit the 6# on top of the 8# and cook it also?  If I can, I plan to put the temp. probe in the 8#er.  Using the "rule of thumb" of about 1.5 - 2 hr per lb. would that be based on 8# or 14#?
Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE

Comments

• you could, but it's not recommended for a few reasons. The main reason is that where the butts touch won't get any smoke or bark so you'll have 2 sides that are more roasted than smoked. It will affect the texture and flavor. You can cook them this way but you'll need to watch the internal temp of both as this method will also affect how long they take to cook. You are essentially making a double thick piece of meat by doing it this way so it will take longer and may not cook as evenly as a single butt. If you really want to do both today, I would get 4-5 hours of smoke on one then use the TX Crutch in the oven (wrap in foil and cook at 225-250 until it's done) then do the other butt on the egg until done. The only problem with this is that your house will smell like a BBQ restaurant for 3 days (insert complaint from wife here). I use this method all the time with my large when doing big cooks (2 butts and brisket or something like that). 4-5 hours of smoke is plenty to get a great flavor and you can finish it back on the pit before serving for a little extra if you like it real smoky (I do). Good luck

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • If 2 butts will stand up on a medium. you could also put a few kebab skewers in between each butt to keep them an inch or so apart. I did this last night with 2 giant butts (21.5 lbs total!)  that barely fit on my V-rack so they wouldn't touch. Anyway. it worked perfectly and they both are smoked all the way around and have a perfect crust all over. I had some wood skewers so I broke one about 3 inches long and put in in between the butts. Maybe that will work if you have room?
  • Thanks Cen-Tex, I decided to just go with the 8#er.  When it gets off, I may do the 6#er then. Thanks again.
    Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Touching won't make them cook any slower, but you do sacrifice a little smoke and bark
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • If you do the 6# today that means you got to spend 2 days outside cooking on your egg. Not too shabby of a weekend if you ask me :)