Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to buy a Woo3

ShaneF
ShaneF Posts: 26
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I just got word from Tom ag CGS that he is no longer selling the Woo3.  For me it is between a Woo3 and a Plate Setter so the new PS Woo doesn't seem that intriuging(since it uses both, and won't be available for another month..)  Do any of yall have a Woo3 lying around that you perhaps replaced with a Plate Setter or an Adjustable Rig?  Let me know as I would like to buy it from you.

Shane

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012

If you need it now why not just get an adj rig and not buy the guts to it. Then if you find a need get what you need of them. I like the adj rig as it it taller. You can see from this pic. Your grill just sits on top.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ShaneF
    I'm not really into the adjustable rig. I know everyone raves about it, so perhaps it's because I have never seen one in person. Also it looks like those combos aren't even available on CGS, for now at least. I just love the simplicity of the Woo3 where you can do direct raised or throw a drip pan/stone under it for indirect. It's also one of those things where I REALLY want it now that it's gone. Surely someone upgraded to the all might adjustable rig and wants some meat money for their Woo. If not, I will just have to settle for the plate setter.

Shane
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    The new woo PS can use a stone or the plate setter cant it?  What does it not do? 
  • Mickey
    What you see in my pic is $79.99 with the two bars on the bottom. You can set a stone on them for indirect or a pan or another grill or take them off. Or at any of the heights upward. That is why I am a fan. Just more opts than Woos.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012
    To be more clear, was asking what the old woo3 did that the new woo PS does not do?  It looks like the new woo PS is everything the old woo 3 is plus more.

Mickey. I agree the rig is great.  However I can see how for some people it lacks the simplicity they are looking for.
  • ShaneF
    edited March 2012

From what I can tell...the new woo PS woo doesn't have the bottom ring that holds the ceramic stone or drip pan. I assume that the stones will fit on the new bottom braces without having to buy the plate setter, but it is called the "PS Woo" so who knows. I have heard you can wok and everything else with it, but the only new feature listed is that it holds the plate setter.  The only thing is that It's not planned to be available until the end of April, so we should know more as it nears.

It's too bad that they retired the "old" model and don't keep them stocked as more options for the egg.  Oh well, I am sure people said the same thing when they came out with the second generation Camero, but Chevrolet seems to be doing alright.

• Mickey
    edited March 2012
    To be more clear, was asking what the old woo3 did that the new woo PS does not do?  It looks like the new woo PS is everything the old woo 3 is plus more.

Mickey. I agree the rig is great.  However I can see how for some people it lacks the simplicity they are looking for.
    For me, the big reason for it is height. Just is taller. Now you can (if like me on the height thing) ask Tom to make a taller Woo.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    The PS Woo does virtually everything the Woo3 does, plus more.   No real reason to muddy the water with two similar pieces.  

The 16.375" dia. round grid that fits inside and on the lower ring is in production too.  On it, you'll be able to set a dutch oven, drip pan, and a round or oval stone.  Cool thing is you can load stuff on the 16 grid from the side, so no need to hassle with the BGE grid or food above.    

t.    
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Any ideas on when this new woo will be available?
    Conway, S.C.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I went back and forth between woo and rig for days....pulled the trigger on the adjustable rig customer combo with the stone, spider, and oval grid....couldnt be happier
  • tjv
    late april or first week may on new PS Woo
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Is this going to be available for the xl, if so any ideas of a release date?
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    It's a shame they're doing away with the Woo3. The addition of the handles on the PS Woo will make it so you can no longer just spin the grid around, to adjust for hotspots, and get quick access to the other side for turning/flipping food. I do it all the time on my Woo3.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Why could you not just grab the handles and spin the whole thing?
  • tjv
    Is this going to be available for the xl, if so any ideas of a release date?
    I've made several PSWoo prototypes for the XL.  The issue is lifting weight.  The set-up without a cook is approx. 23 pounds: platesetter 17 lbs., xl grid 4 lbs., xl woo 2 lbs.  Once you add a cook, couple butts or big brisket, the lift gets up to 35-40 pounds.  I wonder if anyone is going to want to lift that much weight.  Also, have a slight issue with balance.  

I can add handles to the current XL Woo and use it with our 17.5 stone. This reduces the weight by 7 pounds but still wonder if it's too heavy a lift.  Whatcha all think?

I have one other idea I'm prototyping now.  We'll see!

It's a shame they're doing away with the Woo3. The addition of the handles on the PS Woo will make it so you can no longer just spin the grid around, to adjust for hotspots, and get quick access to the other side for turning/flipping food. I do it all the time on my Woo3.
    To Spin the grid on the PS Woo, you'll need to spin the entire set-up by the handles.  Not hard to do but not as easy as the woo3.  I guess this is one step back for ease of use.   

PS Woo for the small and medium are in the works.  And Mickey, no plans for the mini........LOL!