Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential BGE owner - Egg-Cons

Options
2»

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    The accessories are expensive and the initial investment is expensive. With that being said, eggcessories make great Christmas, birthday, anniversary gifts for friends and family to get you. We have eaten out, take out included, 2 times since buying the egg. I have saved more than the amount of a plate setter by dining in.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    The only "con" I've experienced is taking advice from strangers.  My mom raised me not to do so, but after buying my first egg last year, then finding the forum, I've been doing so ever since.  Thanks very much to all the 'strangers' out there for the advice posted in past and in future.  I've never tasted better food, nor enjoyed the process from prep to cook to plate and serve as much; when compared to tossing meat on a gasser and hoping for the best.  If only Mom could be here now to see her once finicky eating kid plate delicious properly cooked meals.  Thanks to all the strangers....

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I bought a Traeger, and a year later bought the LBGE.  The Traeger is occasionally brought out as an additional heat source (it also works very well for sausages...).  There are few cons.  The egg will be passed to the next generation.  It is no joke when people say going out will be less enjoyable.  What you produce from the egg will be better than what most restaurants can provide.  I have family members making meat donations for the next meal.  Get an egg.  You will not regret it.  No buyers remorse, ever.

No, it's not perfect, but close.  You'll have to replace something here and there.  Even the car you drive requires oil, tire, and brake changes every now and then.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • potterlu
    potterlu Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey,

Not much to say that hasn't already been mentioned.  The gasket is going to burn off.  I think I bought a new gasket within a week or two of owning mine.  You'll wind up with a lot of "stuff".  This isn't a bad thing, but I think I have three grates, a grid extender, a BBQ Guru digital controller, ash tool, and all this other stuff.  And you have to have some place to put that.  So, if you're buying or building a table, it's something to keep in mind.  It's heavy as all get out; then again, if I have the raging desire to go for a walk, I take the dog, not the BBQ.  People talk about the cost.  The Egg was the first grill/BBQ I bought; the others before that had been hand-me-downs.  So, I got it when I was 27.  So, that was $1350 Canadian out the door.  Not the cheapest thing in the world.  On the flip side, I don't know how often people replace gas grills, but I made a one-time purchase and won't have to buy another one (got a large; some people seem to wind up with two or three).  It's a bit finicky to light from time to time, but that's me being cheap, dumping the dregs of a bag of charcoal in there, and then not having any decent airflow.

And pizza.  The thing gets to awesome temperatures for making pizza.  However, you'll quickly find that it takes a TON of work to make pizza that's exactly the way you want it.  And then you wind up with some $500 mixer, and fourteen different kinds of flour, and water purified in a secret plant on the moon, and you're only about half way there.  You've been forewarned... ;-)

Luke
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, inwould say the only drawback I find is the small cooking surface for a $1000 grill. I still would not trade it for any other cooker. I have learned to cook BBQ so well that I sometimes want to cook for larger parties. I guess I'll just buy another one. It's awesome- buy one.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

$-)

WOW.

That's quite the batch of responses in less than a day... yikes.  I'm thinking this forum's slogan should be, "Eggheads Unite!".  Thanks for the responses all - very much appreciated... Pretty sure the approval's there, I just gotta cross my fingers for a decent bonus in a couple weeks.... 

A little background, I currently very much enjoy cooking, cook for large parties all the time - for my wife's last birthday, I smoked 2 Prime Rib's on my smokin' sidekick/gas grill.  I grill in all weather, snow, rain, sleet, sun.  And I'm in Calgary - so we can see all of those in one night's cook.

Thanks alot for the info again folks - it's great to hear that there's actually still a great/quality product out there. 

Now to get on those table plans.....
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • stilllaughing
    Options
    On the other hand I have a 10 yr old large, 9 yr old medium & XL and they all have their original stock gasket even though they are heavily used.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

The only con i have, is that I dont like going out to dinner,  or I order things that I dont know how to cook, so I can figure out how to do them on the egg.  Or i order things that I cant.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Smokin_Trout
    Options

The con I have with mine is that it makes me look 5-10lbs heavier than before I had it.

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

I think the big one here is that its no fun going out to eat anymore.  Food I used to think was spectacular now just seems average - especially steaks.

• Sclemen
    Sclemen Posts: 4
    Options
    Just purchased my BGE (after waiting for over a year to pull the trigger) and love it.  If you have a BGE dealer in your area and they have an "eggfest" you can get a "demo" egg which is just used one time that day for a discounted price.....
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    Options
    I was just mentioning on another post that I had my large for 5 years and never had gasket problems. You probably did'nt break the egg in on that gasket Potterlu.
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • GrillerGreg
    Options
    Don't over analyze this/cost. I have owned several grills (expensive ones also) and the BGE is by far the best grill even though it can be a little pricy. However the results are WORTH IT! be patient, it does take time to get used to the temp adjustment and cooking times of food, but again it won't take long. Plus, that' have the fun of owning this thing and grilling. By the way, the worst thing I have cooked has turned out good. The rest are fantastic!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

$-)

WOW.

That's quite the batch of responses in less than a day... yikes.  I'm thinking this forum's slogan should be, "Eggheads Unite!".  Thanks for the responses all - very much appreciated... Pretty sure the approval's there, I just gotta cross my fingers for a decent bonus in a couple weeks.... 

A little background, I currently very much enjoy cooking, cook for large parties all the time - for my wife's last birthday, I smoked 2 Prime Rib's on my smokin' sidekick/gas grill.  I grill in all weather, snow, rain, sleet, sun.  And I'm in Calgary - so we can see all of those in one night's cook.

Thanks alot for the info again folks - it's great to hear that there's actually still a great/quality product out there. 

Now to get on those table plans.....
    If you are in cold weather there is no better option for you. I moved from TX to WI with a cavernous stainless propane grill. 1st winter, I couldn't get the temp up over 350. And when you open the lid at 10 degrees, well......goodbye heat. I bought the egg up there (thankfully I have moved back home from the frozen tundra) and could grill and smoke all winter. Both my neighbors bought them after I turned them on to the good stuff and they love them to this day. There is no better option for cold weather cooking than a BGE (or the other high quality ceramic cookers- I'm just partial to my egg). 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Don't over analyze this/cost. I have owned several grills (expensive ones also) and the BGE is by far the best grill even though it can be a little pricy. However the results are WORTH IT! be patient, it does take time to get used to the temp adjustment and cooking times of food, but again it won't take long. Plus, that' have the fun of owning this thing and grilling. By the way, the worst thing I have cooked has turned out good. The rest are fantastic!
    Amen. Well said
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    You will spend hours messing with the forum, hours cooking things that you neve thought of and you will love every minute of it....welcome to the "Cult"

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
    Options
    Gasket is the only design flaw.  Temperature regulation takes some practice but with with a little patience the accuracy the egg can maintain is awesome.  Sales person told me I would not be using my gas grill after cooking on the egg, he was absolutely correct.  I use the egg four to five times a week since purchasing in December.  I have used my gas grill three times.

Only draw back is wife is intimidated by it which leaves me with all the cooking, which I don't mind at all.  One of the best purchases I have made.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

If you are focused enough to ask these questions - then you will do well.

Buy it.  You will be happy.

I think the only people who buy an Egg and are not happy, are those that buy on a whim in a store - then never spend any time learning about how to use it.   Doesn't take a long time - but does take a willingness to say - its different and someone give me some advice.

I would predict within a week or so you would wonder why you waited so long.

Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

If you are focused enough to ask these questions - then you will do well.

Buy it.  You will be happy.

I think the only people who buy an Egg and are not happy, are those that buy on a whim in a store - then never spend any time learning about how to use it.   Doesn't take a long time - but does take a willingness to say - its different and someone give me some advice.

I would predict within a week or so you would wonder why you waited so long.

"I would predict within a week or so you would wonder why you waited so long."

Amen! I looked for a year and I can't imagine not having one. Go for it (if it makes financial sense for you at this time). 
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    The BGE is a lifestyle change for me. That's not an exaggeration. Cons? I try to fit cooking 3 kinds of meat into a typical weekend now, leaving less time for other things. 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Well everyone,

Thanks alot for the info... I'm sure I'll be sticking around for awhile, as I've now got a Large BGE sitting on my deck waiting for assembly!

Next step is to get it up and assembled so I can get cooking - while I plan out my table!  Didn't buy the nest as it was $170, and I plan to build a table ASAP - so I plan to set up the egg on a couple cinder-blocks on my deck for the time being (maybe a week or two).

HOORAY  \m/
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • apollo140140
    Options
    Didn't read every other post, but most of them mention the high price.  While this is a con initially, you definitely get what you pay for in the case of the Egg.  All main ceramic pieces are protected by a lifetime warranty, and are the highest quality in the kamado style market.  I have a large myself and I love it, but a couple of my friends went with some of the "cheaper" competitors.  While they worked fine initially they ran into problems within a year with their products, and had to try to get warranty help from China.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Didn't read every other post, but most of them mention the high price.  While this is a con initially, you definitely get what you pay for in the case of the Egg.  All main ceramic pieces are protected by a lifetime warranty, and are the highest quality in the kamado style market.  I have a large myself and I love it, but a couple of my friends went with some of the "cheaper" competitors.  While they worked fine initially they ran into problems within a year with their products, and had to try to get warranty help from China.
    Yep- I've had mine 7 years and just got all the inside pieces replaced for free without a hitch due to cracking. I hear the folks in Canada aren't happy with the customer service there, but it's not an issue here (at this time anyway). 
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    On an earlier post Mickey had the perfect solution for the W.A.F. factor. Just bring home a couple Harley brochures, she will be thrilled you decided on an egg instead.  There really aren't any cons to owning an egg.