Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egger with a question

Options
MOvikingsfan
MOvikingsfan Posts: 80
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I was recently in the market for a new grill/smoker and after doing some research found out about the egg. Shortly after I found this forum (btw...this forum

sold me on the egg) and after lurking for quite sometime decided to take the plunge and purchased a LBGE. After several cooks (multiple chickens,

brisket, stuffed peppers, boston butts, fish, steaks) all i can say is WOW. This is by far the best purchase i could have made and would like to send

out a HUGE thank you to all of you for talking me into the egg( I know we never met but thank you anyways).

Couple questions i have......

1. I had a 9 lb boston butt to cook for friends on sunday. The last one was about 17 hrs at 250 (turned out GREAT btw) so i thought 10PM saturday i would put it on. Still had some lump from the previous cook and decided to use it up by planking some salmon(a favorite of mine).

After the salmon was done i let the egg cool for several hours.....time for the BB to go on...I completely cleaned egg of all ash and started with all new

lump. Put the butt on at 10 pm and was done almost as planned at 2pm sunday. Wrapped in foil because we werent eating until about 4pm.

sorry....to try and make a long story short.....the BB had a fish smell to it. Not a real fishy smell (none of the guests even noticed and they all

loved it). But i could smell it. I see a lot of you cook fish on your egg....anyone else noticed this???? Do not want fishy pork...lol

Comments

• MOvikingsfan
    Options

Sorry about the post...Didn't know it would space it out like that.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I have cooked fish on the Egg many times, and not had any leftover fish smell.  While reading, I thought it might be drippings on the lump, but if  you replaced all of that, I'm guessing there might have been leftover on the grid?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Had to be a little oil from the salmon somewhere in there. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • MOvikingsfan
    Options

There really wasn't any leftover residue on the grid because I had used a plank. I thought I brushed the grid off but i might not have. Like I said you could not taste the fish at all but it just seemed to smell a little different than the other butt i had smoked. No one else even noticed and I didn't say anything but I do not want to ruin my egg with fish smell. Thank you VI for the response. (GREAT looking cooks btw...)(all of them!!!) 

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options

Could be all in your head.  My experience is sometimes smells that are significant in your mind can be "sensed" for several days afterward when you are exposed to similar-but-different smells.   

• MOvikingsfan
    Options
    Thats exactly what i was thinking because no one else even noticed that smell and most of them thought it was the best pork they ate. I just wasn't as happy with it as I was the first butt i smoked...lol. Still very good tho and i'm gonna cook another one this weekend.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    As Mike said, sometimes there seem to be certain smells that, once associated together, take a while to separate.

For example, if you used a particular rub or seasoning on the fish, and then used it on the pork, you might be associating that rubs aroma closely with the fish.  Or it could just be the actual smoke of the BBQ, and since the last thing you had with that aroma was fish, it's bringing that back to the front of your thoughts.

Only other thing I could think of, would be that as mentioned a tiny bit of the fish was still on the grate, or perhaps you touched the wooden handle or some of your bbq tools after touching the fish and that slight odor was transferred back to your hands during this cook.

Frank

(by the way, MOViking, would that be Marshall MO, Missouri Valley College?)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same thing as Fx
    Maybe it was on your hands? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MOvikingsfan
    Options

@FxLynch, No I actually moved to West Plains, MO(south central missouri) from Minnesota about 20 yrs ago and will always bleed purple for the vikings. btw....it seems as tho i have bleed a lot over the years as it is hard to be a vikings fan!!! But always will be. Thanks for your response and think you guys nailed it because fish is a very distinct odor and I was the only one who noticed it.

I also did use DP"raging river" on both, although i did mix the pork butt with raging river and head country rubs.

• MOvikingsfan
    Options
    I don't think odor came from my hands as it was about three hours between cooks and after eating and changing out all the lump im sure i washed my hands a few times(god i hope so!!). plus i really didn't use any of my "tools"(spatula or tongs) as i just took of the plank with some channel locks.(big pliers)