Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusted Daisy

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daisy wheel has recently gotten very rusty. Is there something I can treat it with to remove the rust? If not, is the it covered by the warranty if I need to get a new one?

Comments

• Saucy Sue
    Saucy Sue Posts: 79
    BluesnBBQ, I just cleaned mine after a low and slow over the weekend, and 1 year of cooking. It was so gunked up, it would hardly move. I soaked it amonia, and scrubbed it with a brush. So much black stuff came off of it. Then I used Dawn cleaner, and took it all apart. the results were great. it is like new. Then I rubbed it with peanut oil, and last night I cooked on it and it seems to be fine. I just think you treat it like a cast iron skillet, and I will keep it oiled untill the natural black gunk puts a protective coating on it.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Saucy Sue,[p]I'll try that. Thanks!
  • BluesnBBQ,[p]There is a product called Jasco that disolves rust. Jasco or a similar product can be found at most paint stores. It is a grren liquid that can be sprayed on. Put it in a small plastic spray bottle and follow the directions. After the rust is disolved keep a light coat of oil on it like described in a previous post.
  • BluesnBBQ,[p] I had a few minor rust spots. Gave them a shot of WD-40 and let it sit for a few minutes. Wiped it off, then squirted with Pam, threw a porkloin in the egg and waited a couple of hours. When the pork was done I put the daisy in the egg while it cooled down.
    Now after every 4 or 5 cooks, I spray again with Pam and let it bake during the cool down. It looks brand new and beautiful!